Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently acquired some bulk NATO M80 cartridges on belts. The first round starting out is an M62 tracer round followed by 4 regular FMJ M80. They stay in sequence on the belt like that too for the duration. Every fifth round is a tracer. Of course it's going to be lots of fun taking all this stuff off of the belt so that it is usable to me, but my question is can I shoot these tracers out of my gun without messing it up? I'm sure these rounds weren't' designed for match grade barrels like an SPS and I really don't want to go screwing anything up. Anyhow, I'm new to the forum as well. Been lurking around for awhile and thought it would be a good time to join. I've been shooting just about all my life and recently came across a nice very gently used SPS and now I've been getting hooked on long range shooting. I have put a B&C Medalist tactical stock on it, skim bedded the action and have a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 sitting on top. Anyways any thoughts or suggestions on the ammo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The Remington SPS series rifles do not have match grade barrels they are standard barrels. The only issue that might be is the barrel getting a little dirty shooting the tracer rounds, but ain't nothing a good cleaning can't do.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Welcome to the forum!

The Remington SPS series rifles do not have match grade barrels they are standard barrels. The only issue that might be is the barrel getting a little dirty shooting the tracer rounds, but ain't nothing a good cleaning can't do.
Pretty damn close, but yes it's not a match grade barrel. If your worried about tracer rounds I believe it wont harm the barrel, but if your still concerned then take them and pull the bullets and save the brass for reloading.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would worry more about setting the surrounding area on fire if it is dry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It should be fine to fire the tracer through the SPS. A thin copper disc at the base of the bullet must burn through to the tracer compound to ignite it. This usually doesn't take place till the projectile has traveled around 60 to 80 yards from the muzzle. I believe the lag time is to help avoid position disclosure. As far as I can tell a tracer acts pretty much the same as any other bullet while in the barrel.
A friend once called me saying that some 30.06 tracer he bought wouldn't trace {he was shooting into big rocks at too short a distance for it to burn} and was angry that he'd been ripped off by the guy who sold it to him. After some discussion he pulled the round apart to examine it and used a small screwdriver to scratch away the copper disc.I suggested he lock it in a vise {he instead opted for a pair of vice locks at his kitchen table no less} pour a couple grains of propellant powder on the base of the inverted bullet and ignite it with a lighter. He did. All I could hear on my end of the phone was about 2 or 3 seconds of rather loud hissing quickly followed by exclamations and quite a bit of foul language.:D
By the way, I set up my SPS almost exactly the same as yours and I love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts