Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For whitetail hunting inside 300 yards, what would your bullet choice be for .308?

Last year I picked up some Combined Technology 180grn, but decided that may be a little much for what I need, so Im going to load something new this year. I was planning on using the Nosler Accubond 150, or 165grn, but have read a lot of good things about the Sierra game points, and barnes bullets.

What would you recommend, what weight, and if you have a reason, why

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Sierra Gamekings are about $30 per hundred and the Barnes and Accubonds are around $30+ per 50. I went with the Gamekings because I could afford to shoot more and they are a very accuate bullet. Their on game performance is great at 2800fps and under for impact velocity. The magnums need the premium bullets to withstand the high velocities. With that said, the Accubonds and Barnes are excellent bullets. The Barnes have very deep penetration. I am going to load the Barnes TSX in my .223 for deer this year.
I just shot an 75-80lbs hog at 40 yards with my 700 LTR .308 and drilled it right through the front shoulders. She was DRT and the 165gr Gameking SBT @ 2580fps went straight through both shoulders (9in thick) with a 1" exit hole.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well just got back from picking up some 150grn accubonds. I was kinda in a rush but may pick up some gamekings also before season. Now to try and find a recipe for them

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably be tomorrow or one day next week before I get time to load some up. Crappy thing is I don't know how much comparison I'll be able to do before season arrives.

I'm thinking about starting with about 45.0g varget and go from there

·
Registered
795 Posts
For my Dad's .270 we cooked up some loads using the Berger VLD's. They are designed for target as well as hunting. I was skeptical at first, but he's had good success with them! They are very accurate!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
since the topic is bullets for hunting has anyone here been out with the 175 berger hunting VLD's ? any good for deer

·
Registered
70 Posts
The accubonds are great for the 30 cal bullets but I think you could have gone a bit less expensive. The ballistic tip is much cheaper and has the same BC as the accubond. The ballistic tip is also more designed for whitetail. It is still a bonded core bullet but it is also designed to expand. On deer sized game this is perfect. The accubond has a stronger bonded core but was designed for 30 cal's such as the WSM and the winchester magnum. They push the bullet much faster and hit with more energy hence the need for a stronger bonded bullet. For .308 I have used the ballistic tips for years and never had a problem. I've even shot through the shoulder of a deer and the bullet still exited the other side. At the velocities the .308 is going to put up even at close range the ballistic tip is a great bullet and the 150gr round is about perfect. The nice thing I've noticed about accubond and BT bullets is that in most guns I can work up loads with the BT (less expensive) and then load a batch of accubonds and the impact point doesn't change. It makes working up loads for new guns less expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
700Sage said:
The accubonds are great for the 30 cal bullets but I think you could have gone a bit less expensive. The ballistic tip is much cheaper and has the same BC as the accubond. The ballistic tip is also more designed for whitetail. It is still a bonded core bullet but it is also designed to expand. On deer sized game this is perfect. The accubond has a stronger bonded core but was designed for 30 cal's such as the WSM and the winchester magnum. They push the bullet much faster and hit with more energy hence the need for a stronger bonded bullet. For .308 I have used the ballistic tips for years and never had a problem. I've even shot through the shoulder of a deer and the bullet still exited the other side. At the velocities the .308 is going to put up even at close range the ballistic tip is a great bullet and the 150gr round is about perfect. The nice thing I've noticed about accubond and BT bullets is that in most guns I can work up loads with the BT (less expensive) and then load a batch of accubonds and the impact point doesn't change. It makes working up loads for new guns less expensive.

Thats good to know, thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts