Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a current gun owner but I do have experience with them. AR's, Handguns, Shotguns, and only small caliber .22 rifles. I am looking to purchase a higher caliber rifle only because I feel it suits me,I also love picking off a target at long range.A friend recommended I have this be my first rifle and I agree 100% seeing how all around good it performs and maintains itself. Now into the details...I have a current budget of at least $500-600 and with this budget is it possible to purchase a Remington 700 .308 without scope or mods just the rifle itself? Also I came across a Remington 783 Synthetic bolt .308 for $290...would this work for me just as well & also allow me to use the extra cash on maybe a short range scope? I have experience in firing guns but do not know too much else of them unfortunately. I am open to other suggestions of rifles in the .308 caliber in my price range,if there is such a thing. I live in California and as far as I'm informed this is legal as it is. Thank you in advance to any who reply with suggestions and information I will very much appreciate it and any links of course. I look to mod the hell out of this gun as I progress through my college years and this will be my way to blow off steam with my friends here out in rural central california :cool:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'm not a current gun owner but I do have experience with them. AR's, Handguns, Shotguns, and only small caliber .22 rifles. I am looking to purchase a higher caliber rifle only because I feel it suits me,I also love picking off a target at long range.A friend recommended I have this be my first rifle and I agree 100% seeing how all around good it performs and maintains itself. Now into the details...I have a current budget of at least $500-600 and with this budget is it possible to purchase a Remington 700 .308 without scope or mods just the rifle itself? Also I came across a Remington 783 Synthetic bolt .308 for $290...would this work for me just as well & also allow me to use the extra cash on maybe a short range scope? I have experience in firing guns but do not know too much else of them unfortunately. I am open to other suggestions of rifles in the .308 caliber in my price range,if there is such a thing. I live in California and as far as I'm informed this is legal as it is. Thank you in advance to any who reply with suggestions and information I will very much appreciate it and any links of course. I look to mod the hell out of this gun as I progress through my college years and this will be my way to blow off steam with my friends here out in rural central california :cool:
If your plan includes lots of modifications I'd first cruise the pawn shops looking for a good old hunting rifle that has a good barrel. If the stock is nicked up that should drive the price down some but that's probably the first thing to go anyway.

For a good starter rifle consider a 700 SPS Tactical. They sell for around $700-$750 off local dealers shelves her, new in box. They're great rifles once you get rid of the POS stock. Look online for one of the H-S precision take-off stocks that came with 5-R milspecs. You can often buy them for a great bargain. Just make sure you get one that hasn't been bedded unless you like picking out epoxy.

·
Registered
1 Posts

i bought a R700 SPS Varmint in .308 for around $600 recently.. might want to check in to it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just shows how much we get ripped of in the UK, a new 700 Varmint SPS here is £750, which is about $1070!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts