Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard alot of good things about the remington 700 that i have decided to buy one. I'm looking for advice on what kind of 700 would be best for me to use. Any info would be awsome dont know to much about the gun itself so i could use all the help i could get. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
700 sps tactical aac-sd, it's small , relatively light considering it has a heavy barrel, the hogue stock is a ghille green that blends well and won't slip out of your hands, barrel is 20" so it's easy to move around but just as accurate as a longer barrel, and it's factory threaded for a muzzle break or any other goody you want on it. It also is a bdl style so once your done for the day any bullets left over can drop out of the floor plate hatch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i use a 700 bdl in .280 with 22 inch barrell. it is aexcellent calliber for whitetails as well as very accurate. or you could just go to walmart and buy a adl in about any calliber .243 on up. the main difference in the adl style versus the bdl is the bdl has the floor plate that flops open. so you dont have to cycle each cartridge in and out of the chamber. bdl also has the jeweled bolt. 308 wouldnt be a bad calliber to look at either. also the adl is a little cheaper in price. what ever you decide on you will be more than happy with it. i love all my 700s good luck in your decision, and happy hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to dick's sporting goods today after i got off work the only place i have in town to buy a rifle from had a Remington 700 varmint in .223 and .308 with a 3-9 scope on it for $400. Didn't know if this was a good deal or gun to buy if not then im going to have to find a site to buy a 700 from.

Thanks alot for all the info u guys have gave me. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
that sounds cheap enuf. i would go with the 308 if i was buying it to hunt deer. you might find a varmit model to be a little heavy. usually when the large chain stores put something on sale you cant find it cheaper at a gun shop any ways. i have a friend here in town that owns a small gun shop, and he told me that he cant even buy them from his wholesaler for the dicks sale price. it sounds like a nice rig let us know what you decide. i am not sure where you live at, but our walmart sells guns. maybe you have one close to you that does. i know alot of guys starting out that bought 700 adl package guns at our walmart, and were very happy with them. just a thought. i havent bought any new ones for a while not real educated any more in all the different model 700s. all of mine are wood stocked bdls. .280 .308 and last but not least .223 and i love all of them!!!! if it is a 700 in my opinion you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i been thinking and doing alot of research and think if im going to spend the money get something good and just mod it up. i decided that i want to get the 700 sps tactical and over time put mods on it only problem is that dick's dont carry and cant order it. So if any one can tell me some good websites to buy from dick's will let me ship it to them. Also could use ideas for mods for later on in my 700s life. Thx alot for all the info and help guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i know this is going to sound like i am a big advocate of walmart, but they have a special order program and can probaby get you what you want. i think every one has a walmart reasonably close. i think you are wise to get what you want and set it up the way you want it. that is the only way that you will be happy with it. sounds like you are on the right track. i know you will enjoy your new rifle. keep us posted and let us know when you finnaly get it. you may also have a bass pro shop or a cabelas store close enuf to make a days drive to. these may also be worth checking out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Want to know something funny? I work at walmart and mine does not sell guns at all :lol: . the only thing near here is bass pro shop all the way in nashville tn so i might call that store and see if they have the gun if not idk what to do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i thought they all sold guns. lol our bass pro here in md has a very large selection of guns. i am sure yours will probably have a good selection also. alot of times they run sales, and you can get a good deal. i take that you dont have small gun shop close by?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We stop selling guns couple years ago at walmart. We dont have any small gun shop around where i live at so im going to have to drive some where to get my gun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know I am going to open Pandoras Box, but........Piss On WalMart, inside, outside, left, right, up top and on the bottom..........go to several Independent Gun Stores, get educated, and support your local economy. By the way, did I mention that I hate Walmart and everything they stand for?

·
Registered
51 Posts
ridge runner i have never bought a firearm from walmart. i purchase all of my fiearms from the arrow and bullett located in hagerstown md. me and the gentleman who owns the shop are best friends , and i have probably purchased upward of ten rifles in the past fifteen years from my friend bill. i also purchase all my reloading components solvents etc from him. so i guess you can say that i have suported my local economy. the reason i sugested walmart to the gentleman is that every one has one close by, and i thought they all sold guns. if you notice in his last post he said he has no local gun shop close by. i just thought this would be a reasonable solution for this gentleman. i am not a fan of walmart either. i was just being practical, but in the same breath this gentleman works for walmart. so i guess you can say they are suporting the local economy also. just had to get my two cents in sorry!!!!! lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
I guess it would depend on EXACTLY what you want to do with the rifle. Just hunting? Maybe something that doesn't have a heavy barrel (even though I am personally a big fan of the SPS Tac with the heavy barrel). Case in point: last Dec. I go on a 4 day hunting trip with a buddy (who - no joke - shoots a POS SKS with a loose fixed 4 power scope - loose as in every day I would have to bust out my allen wrenches and tighten up his crappy mount). I shoot a doe from about 250 yards, while prone and doing all the basic precision stuff - a gimmee shot with a SPS Tac, with a decent scope and experience. I'm somewhat happy, but the next day, he shoots a 130 class buck (not great, but I haven't had a buck in a couple of years and he's shooting an SKS!?!?!?!?!?!?!). While I try to do the whole sniper thing in the hills, he explains... "So, after you set up on that cliff for your long range shots, I think to myself that I'll just sit in this boulder formation and hang out for the evening. I get really bored after about an hour and I think "Hey! It's somewhat warm. I'll bust open my Cardharts and rub one out {no joke}. So just when I get freed my little man freed into the open air, I just happen to see movement from about 150 yards away. I put myself back into my gear {gross} and stand up from the boulder." He proceeds to free shoot a decent buck with the biggest piece of $hit rifle and scope combo. His groups at the range a week previous were about 1 foot at 100 yards, yet he hits the buck in the heart at 150 yards seconds after he was getting ready to "rub one out".
So, so sum up... luck plays into a lot of hunting. In rifle season, who knows where/when the bucks will come out, especially on pressurred land. Having a very accurate rifle is important, but not the MOST important thing out there.
Long story short... I'd say SPS tac in .308... and getting ready to "rub one out" doesn't really hurt, and may in fact help your hunt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
kmontplaisir said:
Paducah, Kentucky.

Bud's in Lexington has in stock the Remy 700 LS model ( laminated stock) and one in .243 wold do you FINE for whitetail deer..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70789

I bought one by mistake...was seeking a heavy barrel model...but now after trying it out wouldnt get rid of it for no amount of money. Light...but not too light. Barrel isnt too long or too short. I slipped a 3-9X50 Redfield on it and can see things way after the sun is down.

Try one...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts