Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just looking around and i noticed that my uncle has a ton of supplies to reload 7mm-08 rounds. im not talkin about enough for a couple hundred rounds, he has enough for 2000 rounds just sittin there and no gun to shoot them out of since he sold some of his guns. i got to thinking a: the 7mm-08 was made from the 308 b: the 7mm bullet has better ballistic coefficients c: my 308 makes an absolute mess of coyote furs and d: my reminton is in dire need of a makeover anyways. so my question is, is there a way to convert my .308 to a 7mm-08?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You will have to buy another barrel that is chambered in 7mm-08 and have a gunsmith install it. The other thing is the bolt face and head space. But if the cartridge is the same as a .308 just a 7mm neck then you should be gtg with just a barrel change that is chambered for the 7mm-08.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
according to the ammo manufacutures it is the same case just necked down. it was a wildcat round that wound up getting put into production as a factory round.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Same case, so all you will need is a barrel. I have a 7-08, and while I really like the cartridge, C. probably isn't going to change much. A 7-08 is still a game cartridge
(well, it was conceived for the metallic silhouette game), and is most likely gonna make a mess of the pelts. To get to where you are going to be able to save the pelts, you probably want to think about something like a .22-250 or .243, both of which are doable with a .308 action. You might (or might not) need a magazine block for the .22-250. But with either of these options, you can't shoot up your uncle's components! :)

But a 7-08 is still cool as heck!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you shoot at closer ranges then maybe pushing some fast smk bullets might help with pelt damage. I know with my 6.8 SPC AR using smk's bullets helps with pelt damage when shooting bob cats and fox.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure what a magazine block is, i have an adl which has the top feed blind box mag. half the time i dont even load my rounds into the mag i just shoot, pull next round out of the sleave on my stock, put it in and shoot again. it may take a little more time but it eliminates a jam in my magazine. but if i am hunting by my self i keep the magazine loaded for follow up shots. i may not have to do a barrel swap, i got a guy interested in trading his 700 7mm-08 for my 700 .308. personally i wouldnt mind going with the 22-250 but i didnt know if it would work with my action since its parent case is smaller than the .308

·
Registered
181 Posts
The .22-250 is shorter than a .308, but they share the same head dimensions. The magazine block basically just takes up space in the rear of the magazine so the cartridges line up better in the magazine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where could i get a magazine block for it at?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not positive you'll need it, just trying to give you a heads up. Try Brownells.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
really thinking about a .260 remington conversion

·
Registered
181 Posts
Now you're talking! One of these days I'm gonna buy an SPS and get it rebarreled to .260. Don't know if I'm going to do a sporter, or a tac rifle. I already have a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor, so I'm kinda leaning towards a heavy barrel job with a McMillan A3 or A5 stock and uber-glass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, i got a guy on another site that is wanting to trade me a savage model 11 in 22-250. dont know much about the model 11 but i've had really good luck with the 2 savages that i already have

·
Registered
600 Posts
If your going to re-barrel I recommend something like a .260/6.5 Creedmoor/6.5x47 Lapua. You will enjoy the performance gain over 7.62mm projectiles but it comes at a price. You'll be looking at about 2,700-3,000 rounds per barrel, maybe another 1,000 rounds on a set back barrel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts