Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I textured my SPS Tactical's H-S Precision stock. It was crazy easy, but I got the wrong colour epoxy. It was white... So, after it dried, I painted the black (and white in some places) stock desert tan with Krylon Fusion. I'm hoping it will hold well, I really don't want the white texturing to show through...

Also, I picked up some RL 17, and a Shooting Chrony F1 to try out some new handloads with Berger 185's.

Tomorrow, I hope to take my 6 year-old son (and his Christmas Red Ryder) out to the range and have some "man time" as my future ex-wife calls it. I will post some pics when I put the rifle back together, I only have my phone to take photos with as my digital camera is set up for long-range nature shots...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JFComfort said:
Defiantly let us know how it went!
It didn't go, the range was closed due to weather. I can't wait to get back to NC, I have my own range set up there. Only 14 more months!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
How did you work around the COAL for the Berger 185's I loaded some 175 and man are they long !!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running the COAL at 2.835", the 168's were 2.825" and shot very well. I tried a few different lengths and found that up to 2.9XX" that they'll fit the magazine (YAY!). I dare to say that 3" will fit, although it may not feed 100% reliably. YMMV, measure yours and let me know if my magazine length is abnormally long.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I'm trying to figure a good load for my 175 vld's in par with the COAL plus my mag well is on the smaller side.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you stick to the 2.810"? Take your magazine box out, measure it, put it back in and test fit just .0XX short and see if they feed well. That's how I did mine.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
well I just hand feed the rifle with each shot and there was no probelm with the cartridges going into the chamber. Now I dont know how they would feed out of the mag. I might make a custom mag insert for my remmy. I have a really long chamber in mine and the measurement for the chamber comes out to 2.944-5 which is really long. Have you tested the berger bullets before? if so how are the groups and what powder ? thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then:

Berger 168 Hunting VLD
41 Grains of Varget
CCI #200 primers
Federal Match Brass
COAL: 2.825"

Ran some nice .5" groups at 100 yards on a 19-ish degree day, 355' AGL, Zero wind. I didn't get a good speed on them. I will next weekend, I still have 60 more loads left to shoot (and 140 more unloaded bullets). All of the loads at 41 were sub-MOA, I wish I had a reliable chronograph back then.

Now:

Berger 185 Match VLD (Hunting are on backorder EVERYWHERE)
RL17 (Load testing)
CCI #200 primers
Lake City '05 vintage brass
COAL: 2.835"

I hope it goes well for you, I think I am sticking to these bullets, they're expensive, but they shoot nicely out to 400.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts