Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
New-to-me 700 .223 I need to learn about
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 700 Limited stainless BDL made in 2007 today. I had never heard of the .17 Fireball in a rifle. I always assumed it was just a necked down .221 Fireball in the XP-100.
The rifle has a very nicely figured stock, and appears to have been rarely used. After getting it home and finding out firsthand about the problem getting brass, much less any very old factory ammo, I understand why the old gent who owned it prior to heading off to his retirement home kept it pristine.
The previous owner was a benchrest and Varmint shooter. Probably explains the 8-ounce trigger that he had installed in the rifle.
If anyone has any words of caution, or wisdom, regarding loading for this little rocket launcher, please let me read all about it.
Thanks!
Hajji

· Administrator
726 Posts
Well, I hope the trigger is an aftermarket because if it isn't I would be extremely leery of it. As for cartridge, you are pretty much on your own. You can make brass from 223 brass but it will be a chore. The 17's are unique but are not typically seen or shot other than in the varmint application. I only know of two shooters in our club that shoot them. One is small bore obsessed and the other is a varmint shooter.

If it were me and I liked the rifle I would look at rebarreling it to 223 Rem or other cartridges compatible with the 223 bolt.

· Registered
New-to-me 700 .223 I need to learn about
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I hope the trigger is an aftermarket because if it isn't I would be extremely leery of it. As for cartridge, you are pretty much on your own. You can make brass from 223 brass but it will be a chore. The 17's are unique but are not typically seen or shot other than in the varmint application. I only know of two shooters in our club that shoot them. One is small bore obsessed and the other is a varmint shooter.

If it were me and I liked the rifle I would look at rebarreling it to 223 Rem or other cartridges compatible with the 223 bolt.
The trigger is an 8-ounce Rifle Basix model. Lightest trigger I have ever used. I got brass and bullets from Midway, so after I get a scope mount for the short action and a small enough cleaning rod to clean out the cobwebs, I'll give it a try on some crows:oops:
If the barrel requires cleaning every 20-25 rounds, it will probably end up with a .223 1x7 twist Krieger Palma profile installed. The stock is a really well-figured CDL model. Probably why I bought it, although I was on the lookout for a short action model 700 to play with anyway.

· Administrator
726 Posts
Glad you found brass. I'm a little jealous of the CDL. I didn't take up shooting until 2008 and the only wood stock I have is a M1 Garand. Can't blame you for jumping on a CDL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts