Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all.

Im in the market for a new barrel for my SPS Tactical, I want better performance out to 1200m. I know I will no longer have a SPS Tactical, but she will one step short of being a full custom build (I'll have the action trued and tuned up in a bit).

Im going for a 24" 1:10" Varmint Barrel. That to me is the best length and twist rate for a 30cal. not to long and not too short that it will impact burn rates and alike.

My question is this: Which is better for a rifle barrel. Chrome Moly OR Stainless Steel. There is a price difference. Chrome Moly is cheaper. Pros and cons of both???

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh my God Quick your gonna start a debate that will never end, the only thing worse is who makes the best AR15 LOL:)
I think I would go with Chrome Moly because I read somewhere that it will out last Stainless. Or was it the other way around?
I think it depends more on the type, grade, and hardness of the steel used in either that determines it's advantages or disadvantages. I would think any quality barrel maker should offer top of the line performance either way you go. Personaly I think I would go with Chrome Moly since it's cheaper, then shoot the **** out of it and replace it once it's gone and be thankful that I got to shoot that much.
That helped a lot huh?:)
If I remember correctly Jerrschmitt is a prairie dog shooter and those guys are hell on barrels. He might be able to help.
'

·
Registered
526 Posts
BadKarma said:
Oh my God Quick your gonna start a debate that will never end, the only thing worse is who makes the best AR15 LOL:)
I think I would go with Chrome Moly because I read somewhere that it will out last Stainless. Or was it the other way around?
I think it depends more on the type, grade, and hardness of the steel used in either that determines it's advantages or disadvantages. I would think any quality barrel maker should offer top of the line performance either way you go. Personaly I think I would go with Chrome Moly since it's cheaper, then shoot the **** out of it and replace it once it's gone and be thankful that I got to shoot that much.
That helped a lot huh?:)
If I remember correctly Jerrschmitt is a prairie dog shooter and those guys are hell on barrels. He might be able to help.
'
Not sure I have an answer for you. Many of the better barrel makers only make stainless now days.
http://www.hartbarrels.com/barrels.php

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/centerfire_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm
I've had both and to me it would depend on caliber and intended use. There really isn't much difference in price when you consider what a good smith charges to fit one up for you. Stainless is the only way to go for a Prairie Dog rifle because they get hard use and chrome-moly will wear out much faster. Or so they tell me. Most match shooters use stainless as well. For a normal hunting rifle I don't think it makes a hill of beans. .308 is not known to be hard on barrels so it probably won't make much difference.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Quick,
Have a look on this site.......www.qldrifle.com. SOMEwhere on there is a section devoted to the long range club which shoots once a month on the Cannon Hill range. They will know all about it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers mate. i know most PALMA guys (I used to be one!!!!!) run Stainless barrels. Im probably going to go with a Stainless barrel, would prefer some thing tahts a tar more hardy and rust resistant, it may become a working rifle at some stage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts