Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabela's had the Tac sale for $549.99, cabela's sent me the "spend $500 get $100 off" coupon, I had $90 in cabela's bucks points, and the current $40 mail in rebate for the SPS 700... you get the idea. An SPS Tactical .308 for about $320 (after I get the mail in rebate back). AND cabela's has gold medal match for $21.99 a box right now (normally they get $34.99 a box) so I picked up a box of that.

This is my first .308, but I have other model 700 rifles. I love the standard m700 trigger, they are so easy to adjust and tune... but I don't know about this X mark trigger. I haven't torn the rifle down yet (just picked it up this evening) but I read a few posts where folks were saying this trigger isn't as easy to tweak as a standard 700 trigger. Any feedback on that? I may try to pick up a takeoff 700 trigger from someone who installed a jewell or timney or whatever...

are there any inexpensive tactics for making the Hogue stock usable or is the consensus that an aftermarket or a takeoff stock from a police model is the only way to go? It is quite obvious that the stock as shipped is flimsy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
put a harris bipod and a VX-II 6-18x40AO scope on it for now. Had the scope on a 700 CDL .204 ruger (FNRA special edition, same type of deal, $305 for that one at a banquet, was near the end of the night a few years back. I guess everyone had spent all their money already!) that I rarely shoot. I would like to get a good scope for this rifle but will have to save up for a while. I have pics but looks like this site doesn't host pics so I will have to get pics up on another webpage then can link back here.

Anyone here work on their own guns? Wondering if anyone has torn into the x-mark trigger or if people just throw them out and get a standard factory 700 trigger for these things. I adjusted the x-mark that came on this rifle but it still feels quite heavy. Maybe I am just used to my other guns that I have worked over already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I found out that the companies (like Tactical Operations) offering precision tactical style rem700 based builds toss the x mark trigger in the recycle/trash bin and a tuned "old style" factory trigger is used in it's place. I figured as much. :( I guess I will start looking for a decent used stock, a factory r700 non- x mark trigger and start saving for some decent glass. too many projects that require money but I imagine we are all in that same situation! I love this hobby!

I bought this rifle so I can take one of the NRA gunsmithing classes hopefully next summer... they have a couple that are for accurizing the 700 and suggest bringing a .223 or a .308 for the course. I have been taking machining classes at the local community college to prepare for the weeklong NRA course. I do all my own gunsmithing after getting hosed one too many times by supposed reputable gun shops in the past. Has anyone on here taken one of the NRA summer courses?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a tuned old style factory remington non x mark trigger and I LOVE IT. I swear I posted pictures of it because I couldn't figure out if it was a custom trigger or not..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bought the lee deluxe die set, with the collect neck sizer die, and 100 pcs. Rem brass. I am going to sight it in with the fed GMM ammo I picked up and then start working up a load for it. I will let you all know how it shoots!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a good friend that has been reloading longer then I have been living and he says that he has tried both the Remington and Winchester and likes the Winchester brass way better. That's the only kind of brass that I use also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, uploaded pics to flickr.

sight in at 50 and 100 yds. 100yd. group 3 touching edges of quarter. It is COLD out and I wasn't very steady. And this trigger is junk, but that is a bad excuse I know! The 100yd. group was shot off a caldwell front bag, the 50yd. shot off the harris bipod.

couple shots of the rifle as it sits, Leupold VX-II 6-18X40 AO Target model and Harris bipod.

I am not really sure how to make the pics bigger... the files I uploaded to flickr were larger but they show up small like this when I just use the target URL. Anyone know how to get larger pics from that website?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the first bag of Rem brass I have bought ever (been reloading 15+ years now and I have literally thousands of shells in about 10 different calibers). I always buy the winchester brass, I also believe it is superior. BUT, win brass was $22 for 50 pcs. rem was $35 for 100 so I figured I would try it. It just looks cheaper... don't know what it is. I will end up getting some winchester brass if/when it goes on sale price. For now the cheap rem will have to do!

I do want to get a new stock but have to wait for a while. I just bought a ruger 77/22 in 22 LR around Thanksgiving, I loved my 77/22 magnum and "needed" a new .22! I wasn't planning on getting another new gun this soon but this 700 Tac was one of those deals where I had to buy it for the price. I was planning on getting a 700 .308 someday in the near future but I usually budget/plan for a purchase. Winter propery taxes and house insurance eat up a lot of cash for me in December (probably same for everyone I imagine). Maybe after the new year I will spend some tax return on a stock and new scope. I am hopefully going to be taking this rifle to an NRA gunsmithing class this summer and tearing it down and turning it into a blueprinted and accurized tool, a good stock will be a requirement for that process...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts