Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new 700 sps 7mm rem mag. When I took it to the range the first time I was using factory Winchester 150 gr ammo. When I fired my first shot I lifted the bolt with no problem but couldn't pull the bolt back to extract the case. This happened on every shot so I quit after only five rounds. I later tried factory Hornady loads and they seemed to work just fine. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem? I do reload but have not gotten my 7mm dies yet.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I recently bought a new 700 sps 7mm rem mag. When I took it to the range the first time I was using factory Winchester 150 gr ammo. When I fired my first shot I lifted the bolt with no problem but couldn't pull the bolt back to extract the case. This happened on every shot so I quit after only five rounds. I later tried factory Hornady loads and they seemed to work just fine. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem? I do reload but have not gotten my 7mm dies yet.
Several things can cause this. First, make sure that the chamber is absolutely clean, especially in the neck portion.

Second, the Winchester load may be a little on the warm side (yet still in spec) which can cause the case to expand and stick. The Hornady may be a little more conservative.

Another cause is a lack of primary "camming" in the bolt lug area. When you lift the bolt it should move back a little as it reaches the top of it's travel. The angled part at the bolt handle that contacts the receiver, where it's angled, should also hit the angled portion of the Action. This is often called the secondary extraction cam. Some bolt handles are a little far back on the bolt and may need to be unsoldered and moved forward so this feature finishes the extraction process.

Lastly, check the extractor in the bolt face. Make sure that the "lip" is angled back into the bolt where it grips the case. It may be a little too straight and not gripping the extraction ring of the case properly, letting the bolt move back too much before actually pulling the case out of the chamber.

All of the above are possible. I find that keeping the chamber absolutely clean is a big help. I use a series of brushes to keep my chambers clean. On my .308 I use a .410 shotgun bore brush to clean the large, main portion. I then use a .357 pistol brush to clean the neck portion. I have a short "Dewey" chamber cleaning rod that I put the brushes on then rotate them in the chamber, wetted with some bore cleaner. I then use a patch loop on the end of the same rod and Mop/scrub the chamber. I use the same criteria for cleaning a chamber as for cleaning the bore. When the patches come out clean you'r done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I cleaned this rifle squeaky clean before I went to the range. I checked the bolt to see if it travels back while lifting the handle and it does travel rearward. I suspect the Winchester ammo is out of spec or close to it. I will try another brand of ammo to see if it works ok. My first thought was I had a bad chamber. Will update as to how well other ammo works. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue. New 700 LR in 7mm RemMag. 15 rounds of Nosler 140gr on a break-in protocol. Every round stuck the bolt. Had to use a plastic mallet to tap the bolt open. Good thing it has a Steiner scope, crosshairs never budged..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem with my 7mm Rem mag in 700 DM. I started the break in with Remington and Federal ammo, all spent brass stuck in the chamber. After a dozen or so rounds I contacted Remington and they asked my to send them the rifle. I did and they sent it back without telling me what they had done. Now, no brass sticks after firing. However, the "fixed" rifle can only muster a 1.25 MOA group and is 180 fps slower then my son in law's X Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag using the same meticulous hand loads. My 7mm Rem Mag is topped with a Zeiss Conquest. Both rifles have a 26" barrel. I think Remington sold me a lemon. I also put a full length aluminum bed- free floated barrel B&C stock. A Timney Trigger is also installed. Not happy.

I want to love my Remington 700 but I go back to Ruger M77 30-06 which is more accurate with a cheaper scope on it.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
the "fixed" rifle can only muster a 1.25 MOA group

Why not post some pics of your groups. Often the group size and shape has some answers.

Some things to consider:

Something is loose
Scope has a parallax issue or you aren't adjusting for it properly.
Scope may have an internal issue
Bedding is flawed or the "bedding block" isn't fitting the action properly.
Trigger pull improper (too high or too low)
Bolt has insufficient clearance between it's end and the base of the recess in the barrel tenon
Bolt has insufficient clearance between sides of it's "nose" and he ID of the recess in the barrel tenon.

Your selection of powder/bullet combination is wrong. Not all powders work well with all bullets.

This is just a "Laundry List" of potential causes of inaccuracy. Could be one, several, or even none of them. Just things to eliminate.

Last of all, groups can reveal all kinds of "shooter error".

As for rifles not matching another in speed, that's not unusual. Some "tubes" are tighter than others. Try slugging the bores in each and comparing measurements. Slug both the chamber end and the muzzle end. "Faster tubes" will often have slightly smaller diameters at the muzzle than at the chamber end. This difference is usually in the "tenths" so be prepared to dig out the real accurate mic's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I've experienced the exact same issue. Bought my Rem700 last April. Since Remington arms were bought out, I've had no help from Remington. I've tried Winchester, Remington,HornadyAmmo all with the same result. It seems when the action gets a little bit of heat in it,, it binds the cartridge into the receiver locking the bolt. At most I fired 7 rounds and the 7th had to be pounded out destroying the case in the process. Something is definitely wrong and would love to get it fixed. This was my first Remington and I am very disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
506 Posts
This has been a frequent complaint with recent 700’s with RR serial numbers. Most have stated the issue is with primary extraction. Primary extraction occurs when the bolt handle is raised and rides up on a portion of the receiver to force the bolt to the rear to begin the extraction process. The fix involves removing the bolt handle and relocating it to increase the amount of travel.

As you noted the manufacturer of your firearm is out of business so you are on your own. Remington Arms was not bought out. The Company was liquidated and RemArms owner bought the facility and intellectual property and licensed the trademarks from Vista Outdoor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts