Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people will tell me not to do it, and some people might agree. But it is the only rifle I have access to,.

Anyway what is the best bullet size to use in 270 win. For longer ranging shots out to 400 yards?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
What's wrong with the 270 for killing coyotes? Do people think it's too "cruel"? Don't they realize that "Dead" is dead with the animal not suffering.

I never knew there were "rules" about using too large a caliber. Remember once when I was a kid and my Dad shot a dog that was running out sheep. Had one down and my Dad put one right through the rib cage with a 180 gr 30-06 round @120 yards or so. Dog did a double back flip and didn't move from where it landed. When I went down to dispose of it, I found a dog that weighed about 75 lbs and had a hole the size of a grapefruit as an exit. I considered the '06 to be just right :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been informed that the .270 was designed around the 130 grain projectile. Do your research around the bullets favored for pronghorn, and they ought to be the beesknees for coyote.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hillman's correct 130's to 140's. Heck I use SMK bullets (different calibers) even on yotes and they do just fine :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
400 is in the wheelhouse for a 270 with a bit of practice BUT its a burger maker with 130s ~ dead is dead, if your not sellin. My son shot a doe this yr. with a .270 N THE EXIT HOLE WAS MASSIVE. alla softball size.....A 270 will definately tatter a yote.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts