700Rifle.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I going to lose by cutting down the barrel?

What about having it threaded for a flash supperssor?

Has anyone had it done or know of someone else having it done and the end results?

I have a 700P with the 26" barrel and I want the flash supperssor.
So if I want to cut the barrel that would be the time.
I will put a can on it some time down the road.

Thanks
Randy

700P .308
700P .223

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's a good idea to get it done all at once, both the threading and cutting.

I think the 26" is a bit too long myself, so a 24" or even 22" length would get good in my opinion. They only thing you will loose is a bit of velocity, but probably not all that much. You may see an increase in accuracy, since by cutting the barrel, you are in a sense making it stiffer.

I was doing some reading on the subject awhile back. There's some good info on this page - scroll most of the way down:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

There is probably a mathematical formula that could be used, but I don't think it would be a simple one! :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
Many people believe that the 18 - 22" barrel length for .308 is the way to go. Its shorter and stiffer. Read some of the articles on the TacOps website. They explain it a bit. The reason Palma rifles have such long barrels (26" is the minimum, usually 28 - 32") is they need the longer sight radius. Many F-Class shooters are going to short barrels as they are getting better results with the short barrels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is possible just to drill and pin the barrel end without actually trying to thread it. Besides.....umm there is quite a bit of legality when you place a flash suppressor or something that visually resembles a silencer on a rifle. Pinned flash suppressors are relatively easy to install your self.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kennedyford said:
It is possible just to drill and pin the barrel end without actually trying to thread it. Besides.....umm there is quite a bit of legality when you place a flash suppressor or something that visually resembles a silencer on a rifle. Pinned flash suppressors are relatively easy to install your self.
If it is made correctly I am sure it would work.
The threads are a good way to place different items on the barrel.
Suppresor, Flash suppersor, Muzzle Brake, or a Thread Protector that can look like part of the barrel.
If you made a suppresor attach via a pin you would need the suppresor slip over the barrel quite a bit.
That would scuff the barrel and be noticable when the suppresor is not in place.
A Flash Suppresor or Muzzle Brake would not work without being made for that barrel and pin location.
They would also be larger than normal.
Just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts