Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here handy on a lathe?

Vegas50, HOGNUTS and I have been reading, watching and learning as much as we possibly can about Rem 700 gunsmithing. Specifically threading, chambering and head spacing barrels as well as truing actions. We have come a long way and learned a lot of the termanology, important measurements and how to accuratly take them.

I was curious if anyone else has taken on this endvour and has any advice for people starting out. Our end goal is to be completely self sufficant with our rifles. Thank for the help ahead of time!

Joseph F. Comfort

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I did some work on lathes before. It was back in my high school days but now I don't have a lathe to really work on wish I did cause I would be doing all kinds of metal work. I have a buddy that has one and I might use his to thread my barrel for a muzzle brake. Its all about the .020 and .002 numbers with a gunsmiths work. I have a close friend that moved to Montana and he showed me some stuff here and there but you have to own your own tools to really put them to practice. I might get me a lathe we will see. Congrats and hope all goes well with your plans Joe :D

Regads Aron-

·
Registered
526 Posts
My Brother in Law was a gunsmith and I spent many hours in his shop doing barrel work. Running the lathe is the easy part. Doing the set up is where the work comes in. I wish I had bought his shop when he died. I just didn't have the room for all his stuff since I was heavy into motorcycles at the time.

There is a forum for cunsmiths at Benchrest Central where you can find a ton of information on seting up a lathe for barrel work.
http://benchrest.com/forumdisplay.php?17-Gunsmiths-Corner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts