Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the 700SPS with 24" barrel and modding it, or either the 700P. I'd like a gun that shoots 1/4 groups and under at 100 yards and I know that both would do it (SPS with mods of course), plus be able to shoot out to 600 yards. What would you guys do? Get the 700SPS and mod it or get the 700P and call it a day? How much money would I have to put into the 700SPS to get it to the 700P standards?
EDIT: I included that I am looking at the SPS w/ 24" barrel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ryanralston07 said:
I'm looking at the 700SPS and modding it, or either the 700P. I'd like a gun that shoots 1/4 groups and under at 100 yards and I know that both would do it (SPS with mods of course), plus be able to shoot out to 600 yards. What would you guys do? Get the 700SPS and mod it or get the 700P and call it a day? How much money would I have to put into the 700SPS to get it to the 700P standards?
When you say 700 SPS are you talking about the 20 inch tactical or the 24 inch sporter? If it's the tactical either one will do 600 yards easily all
day without issue. For that matter they both will do 1000 yards if you have enough scope adjustment. I owned a SPS Varmint, same barreled action as the 700P in a cheap stock. I put it in an HS Precision stock that I paid about 200 bucks for and it shot great. My SPS tactical is in an HS stock, again 200 bucks, and it's a tack driver. I personally don't like the palm swell on the 700P stock but that's just me. Either one will do what you are wanting. As far as price, I would think you could do the tactical for around 800 bucks with a new stock but without a scope.
Me personally, I would get the tactical, find a stock that I liked, buy a good scope, find a handload that it likes, and shoot the crap out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BadKarma said:
Ryanralston07 said:
I'm looking at the 700SPS and modding it, or either the 700P. I'd like a gun that shoots 1/4 groups and under at 100 yards and I know that both would do it (SPS with mods of course), plus be able to shoot out to 600 yards. What would you guys do? Get the 700SPS and mod it or get the 700P and call it a day? How much money would I have to put into the 700SPS to get it to the 700P standards?
When you say 700 SPS are you talking about the 20 inch tactical or the 24 inch sporter? If it's the tactical either one will do 600 yards easily all
day without issue. For that matter they both will do 1000 yards if you have enough scope adjustment. I owned a SPS Varmint, same barreled action as the 700P in a cheap stock. I put it in an HS Precision stock that I paid about 200 bucks for and it shot great. My SPS tactical is in an HS stock, again 200 bucks, and it's a tack driver. I personally don't like the palm swell on the 700P stock but that's just me. Either one will do what you are wanting. As far as price, I would think you could do the tactical for around 800 bucks with a new stock but without a scope.
Me personally, I would get the tactical, find a stock that I liked, buy a good scope, find a handload that it likes, and shoot the crap out of it.
I'm looking at the SPS with 24" barrel.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ryanralston07 said:
I will second Badkarma's suggestions. I have an SPS Tac in .308 and with my hand loads shoot .250" @ 100yds with little trouble. I also installed an HS Precision stock, installed a Timney 510 trigger and topped it with a Nikon 6x18x40 SF and its a tack driver. 600yds and in for this rifle are no problem at all. By the way welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ryanralston07 said:
BadKarma said:
Ryanralston07 said:
That would be the SPS with the sporter barrel. You won't get the same level of performance that you will with the heavy barrel. I'm sure the sporter
is accurate but when the barrel starts to heat up, which it will do much quicker, your POI will begin to shift. By the time you modified the SPS sporter
to 700P specs, changing the barrel, stock, scope, etc, you are going to be in a much higher price range. You could buy a 700 5R for less than your going to spend on this deal. I would tell you buy the Tactical or the Varmint and re stock it. You will then have a true long range platform to build on
for less money. However, from my experience having owned both, the tactical is a more accurate rifle with the shorter, stiffer, barrel. The great 308 is right. .250 and 600 yards are easily within reach for the tactical and a good hand load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BadKarma said:
Ryanralston07 said:
BadKarma said:
That would be the SPS with the sporter barrel. You won't get the same level of performance that you will with the heavy barrel. I'm sure the sporter
is accurate but when the barrel starts to heat up, which it will do much quicker, your POI will begin to shift. By the time you modified the SPS sporter
to 700P specs, changing the barrel, stock, scope, etc, you are going to be in a much higher price range. You could buy a 700 5R for less than your going to spend on this deal. I would tell you buy the Tactical or the Varmint and re stock it. You will then have a true long range platform to build on
for less money. However, from my experience having owned both, the tactical is a more accurate rifle with the shorter, stiffer, barrel. The great 308 is right. .250 and 600 yards are easily within reach for the tactical and a good hand load.
Thanks man, I'll be looking to get the tactical or varmint sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If want to just get a rifle that shoot good and not have to mod 700p if hounding mind doing mods then 700 SPS Tac or SPS Varmint.

·
Registered
409 Posts
SPS Tactical all the way. Maybe the PSS if you could find one for a really good price. Spend the money on a good scope.
If you go SPS tactical you'll need at least $200-$300 for an HS stock, so that may even out as far as the price goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts