Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm getting back into reloading. Its been quite a while since I did any handloading. I need to pick up a die set for a .308 win. Any suggetions on what brand?? I'm thinking a decent hunting, long range(500 yds) milk jug busting loads are what im trying to accomplish. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
I use Redding or RCBS. Most brands are fine for what you want.

I use Forster and Redding for most of my handloads. I also have a CH4D dies for my .50 Beowulf and RCBS for .50BMG

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was using a redding die and for what ever reason it was sizing my necks all screwed up and bulging the bullets into the case. So you get the idea the bullet was actually resizing the neck as it pushed into the neck. My accuracy was all over the place and a friend noticed it when he looked at the neck. I just sent the die back to redding.

In the meanwhile I bought a RCBS competition .308 set and OMG do I love it. The sizing die is nothing special but the seating die is awesome. It has a micrometer on the cap so you can get accurate seating depths and a window in the side of the die so you just drop the bullet in the window and pull the handle. It does everything else. I got them on Midway for $100 dealer cost. Boy was it worth it.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the comp rcbs dies. Another plus is also no lubricant needed supposedly. As for messing the neck that can happen because too much lubricant is inside the die. I usually clean my dies inside after about 2 hundred rounds. Noe I run that Hornady spray on luv and it's great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah I'm still using hornady one shot spray lube. I have had my fair share of stuck cases and don't want to chance it. I have never heard that about the no lube thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks.I'll probably go with RCBS. Thats what I used in the past. Any suggestions on digital scales?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
HHB Guns said:
Yeah I'm still using hornady one shot spray lube. I have had my fair share of stuck cases and don't want to chance it. I have never heard that about the no lube thing.

Henry H. Bryant
HHB Guns, LLC
www.hhbguns.com
Never mind I was thinking about the pistol carbide dies..... my bad

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
abbydog62 said:
Hey thanks.I'll probably go with RCBS. Thats what I used in the past. Any suggestions on digital scales?

I heard good things about the RCBS regular digital scale and the Chargemaster are good scales and make loading a lot faster!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
I'm thinking about getting the comp rcbs dies. Another plus is also no lubricant needed supposedly. As for messing the neck that can happen because too much lubricant is inside the die. I usually clean my dies inside after about 2 hundred rounds. Noe I run that Hornady spray on luv and it's great.
hey there Winxp man and others , i read your thinking on getting rcbs comp dies ! i posted somthing about them a week ago saying how good they were , but i was on youtube 4days ago looking at diffrent die sets ! so i did a test with my diffrent die sets ! i have 3 die sets ;; all in .223 rem-- i wanted to test each one for bullet run out ! this was the order that id bought them in thinking more i spend ill get more accuracy ! wrong , for me anyway !
1st -lee collet sizer and seater
2nd-redding F/L sizer and seater
3rd-rcbs compitition F/L sizer and seater
The run out was worse on the rcbs comp ! OMG £102 pounds ..
redding were slightly better but still not great and need adjusting
the lee set was almost true , with visually less run out , the other two were so bad really that you could see the wallow when rolling the cartiges on a glass table ! Well for me im now going to have to buy a Hornady concentricity tool to identify and adjust run out !! as im sure what ever die set you buy you will have run out .. fanks ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts