Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a newbie in shooting a bolt-action rifle.

As mentioned in the topic, it's quite hard for me to push an ammo from the magazine into the chamber as you may see it in the youtube video posted on the link above.

It' quite a long video and so tiring to wait until I put each round. You may fast skip to: 0.40; 1.45; 2.15 and 2.55 respectively.

In the video I use CBC ammo. But even with Remington ammo, it is the same kind of trouble.

Any suggestion ? Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
A couple of things come to mind.

First when loading the magazine are the rounds as far back towards the bolt as they will go?
I assume this is a model with the hinged floor plate. Is the follower installed correctly. Taper towards the front?
Does the follower move freely in the magazine?
Has the action been out of the stock?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If its NOT what Doom posted use the bolt release lever in front of the trigger, pull the bolt out check the bolt lugs and under the bolt for any marks as it seems the bolt is catching either on trigger fire control or the bolt release lever. Let us know what you find?

PS You chose a nice "rig" and set it up nicely, so how did it shoot ? Looks like a 1-10 or 1-11.25 twist .308 ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple of things come to mind.

First when loading the magazine are the rounds as far back towards the bolt as they will go?
I assume this is a model with the hinged floor plate. Is the follower installed correctly. Taper towards the front?
Does the follower move freely in the magazine?
Has the action been out of the stock?
Thank you Doom,
I checked all in the list you suggested. I am rather sure that some component in the magazine system has some flaw or defect.
Out of the 4 rounds in the magazine, the 1st one has the most resistance. The 2nd, the 3rd then the 4th respectively have lesser and lesser in the degree.
I think I may have to bring the rifle to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its NOT what Doom posted use the bolt release lever in front of the trigger, pull the bolt out check the bolt lugs and under the bolt for any marks as it seems the bolt is catching either on trigger fire control or the bolt release lever. Let us know what you find?

PS You chose a nice "rig" and set it up nicely, so how did it shoot ? Looks like a 1-10 or 1-11.25 twist .308 ?
Thank you mayor,
I checked and found no any mark of the catching.
When I drop a round on the follower via the ejecting port, pushing the ammo into the chamber is very easy, no problem at all. If the catching with the trigger fire control or the bolt release lever is the case, dropping a round should get the same trouble as feeding from the magazine, shouldn't it ?
I may have to take it to a gunsmith.

PS. As I am not a native English speaker, I am not sure of the word "rig" you wrote. I think you mean the orange G clamp on my shooting bench, right? (I took a dictionary, it says "Rig" also means costume but I think my Vietnam war USMC shirt has nothing to do with the shooting performance you asked). The G clamps with that wooden plank is good because I can load the bipod on that slippery concrete bench.
The rifle has 5R, .308, 1:11.25 inch barrel.
In the video, I could not well control the recoil. But lately, with a MDT muzzle break and replacing the factory trigger with a Jewell set, it shot a group of an inch at 200 yards.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
I looked at a 270 Sunday that had a feeding issue. In this case the rounds were not coming up correctly. The spring on the follower seemed weak. In your case, after watching the video again, the rounds may be too far back in the magazine. Try loading them a little more towards the chamber. This is assuming the bolt moves freely with no rounds in the magazine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To update you on how the gunsmith and I have been trying to fix it.
He thinks the main reason is the magazine spring. In his view, the one installed in my 700 is a bit too stiff than normal.
He suggested me to load and unload repeatedly several times. He believes the more loaded and unloaded cycling the better.
I also install a bigger bolt knob onto the original one.
You can see in the new video that pushing a round into the chamber is easier and smoother though not 100% perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same rifle and it was smooth and easy to load a round. As others have suggested make sure the rounds are seated correctly to the rear and make sure the spring is not hanging up as it feeds the next round. Good luck, you have a really great rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts