Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new to the reloading caper I did a Lands depth test with a fired case from the same rifle and drilled and tapped the primer socket and used a threaded rod to push the 168g SMK through the case when inserted into the chamber untill it stops I did this 3 times and got the measurements 2.825, 2.827, 2.827 so i split the diffrence and got 2.826 does this seem normal size considering they state an OAL of 2.80 for a 308 winchester on the LEE Reloading site. So 26 thou over is normal?

How much should I come back from the Lands I've read online about 1 to 2 thou is this correct?

Cheers Nathan

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If 2.826 is your average I would work a few loads at 2.806, 2.810, 2.816. I wouldn't really go longer than that.

When I measured mine, my average is 2.934 using the rcbs precision mic.

Interestingly enough, even though my rifle has such a long throat, my accuracy load is at well below the 2.800 mark.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate thanks for the info I'll start off at 2.806 and load 20 of the other two measurements and see how it goes.

Cheers nathan

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
How far out you want to seat the bullet kind of depends on the bullet type also. For example Sierra Match Kings are not sensitive at all with jumping. Beger on the other hand are a little touchy when it some to seating depth. Also A-Max are not as much as Beger but still have to be played with seating depth. But I would do what jasonbourne said. I would also measure your mag length to see what the longest your can do.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn't be an issue with the AI mag but will measure it to be sure.

Thanks.for the info winxp
Cheers nathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts