Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get an ARD but could not justify spending over $60 on a meshed ring. When I got to thinking about how it works I decided to make my own. Now I have this on all my rifles and it works like a dream, it reduces glare and lens flash extremely well. There are many products being sold on the net that cost about 45-55 dollars. Using my method it will cost you $3.00 (if you own flip caps) and less than two minutes of your time, you will also have enough to do it on hundreds of rifles.

BEFORE

AFTER

1st.

purchase a roll of charcoal fiberglass insect screening (home depot)

2nd.

cut a circle that is slightly larger than your objective (you want a little lip all around the bell of the scope)

3rd.

place the cut out circle on top of your objective and try to make the lip even all around.

4th.

position your flip cap over the mesh and start to slide the flip cap into place. the mesh will be held in place
and stretched tight by the flip cap.

5th.

your done, it kills glare and flash very well. it is invisible when looking through the scope and when your walking back to your rifle after
checking your target you can tell the difference, all the other scopes are reflecting light and are shinning. On yours you will only see a black
hole ;)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
BK said:
More guts than I... I would be afraid to try that on a Zeiss! Member #6!
From what I can see if you throw some tape on the front bell you wouldn't hurt anything on the scope if your talking about scratching the front bell.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winxp_Man said:
BK said:
More guts than I... I would be afraid to try that on a Zeiss! Member #6!
From what I can see if you throw some tape on the front bell you wouldn't hurt anything on the scope if your talking about scratching the front bell.

The mesh is very smooth it's almost like a fabric. The flipcaps do more damage to the finish of the scope than the mesh does. Now if you constantly play with it by taking it off and putting it back on anything can happen that's alot of friction.

I guess now is the time for a disclaimer just in case. Do this at your own risk lol.

:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nice work mate. Great idea :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think that it turned out ok. Cost me exactly $0.00 since I used scape screen and some leftover black spray paint to clean it up a little bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the write up Jason! I wouldn't have thought to make one and probably would have purchased one from SWFA when I got my scope. Saved me some money for sure!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts