Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I have recently come into possession of an early Remington ADL 30-06. The barrel is marked JP 44 with a xxxxx sn. It has the square safety and short bolt shroud as well as a 20" barrel with iron sights and a period 3x9 scope. The metal butt plate was replaced with a recoil pad long ago and the stock has been beded and urethaned. It has been hunted, I got it from the original owner. The bluing is in great shape with no rust or scratches. So.... here is my dilemma, I already have a quality 30-06 so I don't need two. If I was to keep the Remington I would want to rebarrel it to 24" and put it into a composite stock. If this rifle was a newer model I would have done it already, but I think it might have some collector value to someone. I'm thinking I should sell it or trade it for a short action in another caliber. What say ye?
Air gun Wood Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
I doubt that this is a a real collectors item but there may be someone who would find some sentimental value in it. It would still be a great hunting rifle,

If it were mine, being a LA, I’d use the action and build a 280 or 280AI in a chassis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt that this is a a real collectors item but there may be someone who would find some sentimental value in it. It would still be a great hunting rifle,

If it were mine, being a LA, I’d use the action and build a 280 or 280AI in a chassis.
Food for thought

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you don’t want it’s probably some of the best trade bait you could have,a short barrel 30-06 with complete iron sights, somebody is going to want that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your opinion. Thats kind of what I was thinking. I was thinking I would be interested in trading for a short action in 243, 22-250 or 223.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would leave it just the way it is! Too bad the original but plate was removed.
As long as the stock wasn't shortened, you could find an original but plate for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Nice rifle. Hand it down to your family members.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no one to leave it to, and can’t bring myself to break it up to build a custom rifle. Unless someone comes up with an interesting trade, in the form of a short action, I will be posting it for sale on GB to fund other projects. Thank you all for your feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts