Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been working on this load for my M700 SPS .308 for almost a year now. I had settled on the components a while ago as this load shot extremely well in my gun. The components are as follows:

Winchester brass- resized so the shoulder is just bumped back, trimmed to 2.005
CCI large rifle primerse
165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
46 grains of Varget

It shot well but I wanted to see if I could get more out of it. I had been seating the bullets to a create a COAL of 2.835". Little did I know that the plastic tips vary from lot to lot. I began experimenting with an RCBS O-give micrometer to eliminate this problem and that led me to vary my O-give measurement on my load to "fine tune" the results. Here is the final result:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thats some nice shooting and I assume the ballistic tip your using for hunting? If so I dont think I seen an FPS on this load. Did you chrono these? I see your using Varget. Before you call it a day on this load you may want to try IMR 8208 XBR. It's kinda like Varget, but it's been getting raves from the match shooters and is prefered over Varget and is not tempreture sensitive as well. As far as primer.....maybe you should check Federal 210M or CCI BR-2 match primers. These primers burn more consistant.....more so then the standard large rifle primers. Never quit because I'm sure you can find another homerun!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The velocity of these rounds over the chrono are right at 2800fps. Some days faster, some days slower depending on temperature. Yes, this is a hunting load and for that reason I won't use the BR or match primers. Most tend to cause a loss in velocity. While the slight increase in accuracy isn't even noticed by someone shooting offhand with a sling at less than 300 yards the loss in velocity and penetration may be noticed. One of the nice things about handloading is that you can tailor the round for the purpose. If my intent was to shoot benchrest, I would absolutely switch primers. I do appreciate the suggestion, though. I am going to work on a load with the new Speer deep curl bullets and may try some match primers with that load as they will be more for shooting paper than anything. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Desertdog,

Yes, this was from a bench with a front rest and a rear squeeze bag. Same as F-class shooters have to use. This is my normal set up to test loads. If I were interested in testing my shooting ability I would choose a smaller, less expensive caliber such as my .17HMR. Perhaps I'll post some prarie dog targets shooting my .17HMR at 200 yards from a sitting position. I've been wanting to try that on the range after hitting a dog in the field at that distance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts