Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After over a years worth of questions and waiting and advice from many on this forum I finally pulled the trigger on a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50!!! Special thanks to Quick and many others who told me to stop dicking around and get a scope worthy of both civilian, operational law enforcement stuff, as well as super long range hunting. I'll post some pics ASAP. It's still in my Burris XTR rings and my next stop is an HS precision stock. If any one has a bead on one for around $200, let me know and I'll scoop it up.

My wife wasn't happy when I told her that I wanted her to sleep on the sofa so the Nightforce could sleep in bed next to me, but eventually she relented after I showed her the quality of the illuminated reticle and how crisp the adjustments were on the scope. She understands that it's really just a matter of priorities... :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not F1. Just standard. Not zero stop turrets. Field tactical mil dot reticle. Just the standard NXS with nothing super special except some cool bumper stickers. :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And 1/4 MOA adjustments.

·
Registered
600 Posts
How come you didn't go MIL/MIL? Does your department require MIL/MOA?

Before I went with a US Optics SN-3 I ran the same scope. I had the old turrets which were 1/4 MOA elevation, 10 MOA per revolution, 1/4 MOA windage, 50mm objectuve, SFP and a NP-R2 MOA based reticle. It is a excellent rifle scope and will last you a lifetime. If you could I'd try and re-arrange it so that you had matching reticle subtensions and turret adjustments... 0.1 MIL elevation and windage with your MIL reticle or switch to a MOA based reticle like the NP-R1 to match your 1/4 MOA turrets.

If you already have the scope screw it, mount it and get to shooting. I know its all a matter of preference and MIL/MOA systems have been the MIL/LEO bread and butter for a long time. When I started out I used a 3.5-10x40mm Leupold Mk 4 MIL/MOA. In retrospect it was a excellent way to start because I learned both units, MIL and MOA.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My department requires whatever I say I want. Which sounds cool but gets pretty old when the more high speed stuff (like my "designated marksman" rifle (sounds less aggressive in our policy manual than "sniper") and all its gear, furniture, etc., come out of my own pocket. I got super used to going MOA all the way with everything from the Falcon Menace I previously had so it just made sense. I'm probably on the lower spectrum of MOA/Mil knowledge than several others on this site, but MOA is just something that made easy sense to me. I could wrap my head around it easily at 100 yards, and any other distance out to about 800 yards for memory of ballistic tables, drop, adjustments, etc. I'm not opposed to switching turrets at some point if need be (Nightforce says they will do this for a "nominal fee") but MOA seems to work for me at the moment.

Winxp, you're right. Buy once, cry once. Except I didn't cry. Well... maybe a little. But then I look at the scope and the tears go away.

I did a "soft" zero yesterday at a 100 yard indoor range and things went very well. I can't seem to break the .75 MOA barrier and I truly feel that it's because of the Hogue stock (I'm a cocky prick who always blames others) so I'm shopping hard for a good HS or B&C.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally downloaded some pics... also posted in our photos sticky...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
762 said:
the low rings will make that perfect. what do you need? 30mm rings?
Yep. I've got the mediums in 30mm and need to trade or just buy some new low XTR rings. I could take these back to Gander Mountain (I won't tell them they're 2 years old) but they don't carry the lows and can't order them in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
you can probably find them cheaper on the net anyhow.

seems like i paid about $45 to have mine shipped to my door.

they're 1" rings though. i'm gonna have to get new rings when i order my new scope

1 - 14 of 14 Posts