Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy from western maryland. i bought a used 308 about twelve years ago, and i am just now getin around to shootin it. i put a burris 3-9 fullfield 2 on it. i reload, and i have a brand new set of dies for it probably bought them about 8 years ago. i was thinking of using a hornaday 130 gr with a lil win. 748 behind it. using 748 because i allready have it. i bought it for my 223. and it didnt work out. so i figure might as well use it if it works right? has any one else used the 130 gr bullet with 748? if so what were your results? i am getin it ready for a young hunter to use mainly my daughter, and the neighbors nephew. i let him use my 22250 this year, and he made a beautifull shot on a small doe about 175 yards. i figure that aint to bad for a first deer. but i also feel that the 250 is alittle light for a young deer hunter. i personally dont have any problems using it for deer, but a youngun needs a lil room for error. so i figurred a 130 gr bullet would have a light recoil, and be great for a junior hunter. not sure if it will stabalize or not any insight would be helpfull. i think the twist rate is 1in 9 i would have to check again to make sure been some time since i did that atleast ten years, but that twist rings a bell. this is also my first post thanks in advance for all your insight and help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just checked the twist rate looks like a 1in 11. you guys think that lil 130 gr will shoot with the 748 or am i barkin up the wrong tree? gee i hope i have this posted in the right forum. im a lil new here please bear with me.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think that you would be better off with the 150 SP bullet. And if you load them with some varget they really are not going to kick much. With your Win 748 combo it should not kick much at all because its a slower burning powder than the Varget.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have never had alot of luck with accuracy and ball powders. i have tried several in my 223 to no avail. it would be nice if i could get acceptable accuracy out of the 748 so i can use that crap up. do you think i should still go with the 150 or the lighter 130? kind of new to the 308 i hear they are not fussy, is this true? i have heard alot about the varget powder. my lil cousin uses it in his 250, and let me tell ya that thing shoots!!! i have the following powders on hand imr 4831, imr 3031, h 335 and win 748. out of the bunch if you had to choose a powder for the 308 which one would you pick? i would love to use some of this powder up that wont shoot good in any of my other guns. thanks again for your help. just need someplace to start this way i can atleast make a educated guess at wich one to use up first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts