Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my sps tac.

Started basic:
Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm
EGW 20 moa base
Luppy 1" med rings
harris 6-9" bi-pod
blackhawk butt stock shell holder




and my laboratory


I am about as good at woodworking as I am shooting
(bottom shelf uneven) lol, at least now I will get better at shooting.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Nice rifle mate. Your probably go the next size down in your rings to save your neck some pain. But nice rifle. Have fun with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Nothing "basic" about your rifle, Reddog. These guns are wicked accurate bone-stock. You'll really enjoy shooting it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got to take it out today, NBT, the stock shell holder is real tight, stayed put. Anyone have any advice on how to zero in a scope for a newbie. Also, do you guys use rear shooting bags? I was shooting off a bench but was having trouble keeping the rifle steady. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Read the bore sighting article on the main site page.

Also make up a rear bag/sock/etc. Grab an old sock, fill it with sand and you have a rear bag for your rifle.

When sighting in, shoot a three round group from your most often shot position, check target, measure and adjust and then fire another three rounds, and repeat until she is on target where you want your zero.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
From a bench I have always had better luck shooting from a bag front and rear. I get too much hop from a hard bench and bipod
when I am really trying to dial it in. If I shoot from the bench with a bipod I put a towel or something kinda soft under the
bipods feet which seems to help. A backpack will work up front as well. I just bought a bag/rest from Voodoo Tactical that I think
is going to work pretty well. If I recall right it's called the Armadillo??? It's storage and a rest all in one.
Good luck with it, when you get it right it will suprise you how accurate it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I took an old sock and filled it up with some rice. It has a good tight feel, I will see how it hold up tomorrow at the range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Reddog927 said:
Thanks for the tips guys, I took an old sock and filled it up with some rice. It has a good tight feel, I will see how it hold up tomorrow at the range.
Your off to a great start! Let me know what you think of the Bushnell scope you have. I am looking at this for another rifle I have and have heard nothing but good reports. Make sure you give us a full range report and if you have pics please induldge us with pics.....we like pics! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little upgrade =)





Did not think the mag would extend that far, may swap it out for the 5 round version. Looking forward to seeing any difference at the range this weekend.

-308,

I really like the bushnell scope, for the price I have no complaints. I do see myself upgrading down the line only because I would like to do some longer range shooting and I feel the 10x may be a little limiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct Bob, it is wyatt's. I am quite impressed with it, dropped right into the B&C stock and all I had to do was file down the front trigger guard screw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Reddog927 said:
Here is my sps tac.

Started basic:
Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm
EGW 20 moa base
Luppy 1" med rings
harris 6-9" bi-pod
blackhawk butt stock shell holder




and my laboratory


I am about as good at woodworking as I am shooting
(bottom shelf uneven) lol, at least now I will get better at shooting.

:cool:
Looks like a straight shooter to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Reddog927 said:
Little upgrade =)





Did not think the mag would extend that far, may swap it out for the 5 round version. Looking forward to seeing any difference at the range this weekend.

-308,

I really like the bushnell scope, for the price I have no complaints. I do see myself upgrading down the line only because I would like to do some longer range shooting and I feel the 10x may be a little limiting.
That stock looks really nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
BadKarma said:
From a bench I have always had better luck shooting from a bag front and rear. I get too much hop from a hard bench and bipod
when I am really trying to dial it in. If I shoot from the bench with a bipod I put a towel or something kinda soft under the
bipods feet which seems to help. A backpack will work up front as well. I just bought a bag/rest from Voodoo Tactical that I think
is going to work pretty well. If I recall right it's called the Armadillo??? It's storage and a rest all in one.
Good luck with it, when you get it right it will suprise you how accurate it is.

I agree, I like to just use bags as well. However, I need to get a different rear bag for my Caldwell kit. That rear bag I have is shapped very oddly and it not stable at all. I'm not sure why they would shape it like they did.

This is the one that I have: http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=DeadShot-Combo-Bag-In-Box-Filled

The rear bag is shapped like a triangle and I don't like it at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
If you don't mind my asking how do the mag's feed in the Wyatt's bottom metal? I'm particularly interested in the 5 round mag's. I will probably get one before long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been very happy with the bottom metal. Feels very solid! I swapped out my 10rd for a 5, it was just too big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have the Wyatt's. It has the stiffest spring I've ever seen in a magazine and loading it scares the crap out of my brass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I have found the when shooting from the bench with the Harris bipod, it is best to use a piece of thick carpet under the legs. I bought a piece that has bordering on it and is 12" x 18". And I use a leather rabbit ear sand bag under the rear. When you get your sight picture, lean slightly forward so as to put a bit of forward pressure on the bipod legs. Bingo, bullseye.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top