Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey….I’m a new member as of this morning. I bought a Rem700 XCR Compact .308 (20" barrel) a month ago to use as my new “go to” deer rifle here in rural Georgia. I mounted a Pride Fowler 3X9 scope with their .308 reticle, and finished it with a Turner all weather sling. I have been doing paper targets at 100 yards and enjoy the rifle very much. This is my first .308 and I will never give up this gun. I hear of this gun shooting out to 500 yards, and doing it well. My needs are within 250 yards. I have taken the gun deer hunting three times before today and love its compact feel, weight and accuracy….not to mention it just looks good. The only problem with the first three hunts was…no deer. However, this morning proved different. After 45 minutes in the stand, and 150 yards out, stood a wide seven point. I would have been happy with a doe, but my luck was turning. Around here most bucks look like goats. This buck weighed 180 pounds with an 18 inch spread. Not the biggest buck I have taken on this farm, but what a nice way to initiate my new 700. I have several rifles and can’t think of one I like more than this one. I spent two months research before buying this rifle and it was time well spent. I am jealous of you guys shooting those LONG shots, but for me….at 63 years old, today I am content with 150 yards. I would post pics of rifle and deer but can't figure it out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Great! Most of my deer shots are 50 yards and under. The bush is pretty thick up here and you can't see much farther than that. Most years I don't even bother with a rifle and use my S&W 4" .44 Mag.

Deer don't seem to mind the smell of a good Cigar.

·
Registered
403 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
Great! Most of my deer shots are 50 yards and under. The bush is pretty thick up here and you can't see much farther than that. Most years I don't even bother with a rifle and use my S&W 4" .44 Mag.

Deer don't seem to mind the smell of a good Cigar.

Ha Ha great picture!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Jerrschmitt, I like your deer stand. Would like to see more of it. How high up is it? I imagine you have some fine deer in Wisconsin. The cigars a nice touch, but what about a coffee pot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congratulations. Nice deer and great looking rifle, and welcome to the forums. I just got a 700 LTR in .308 this year. It also has the 20" barrel. It is the only rifle that I have used all season. I have shot 16 feral hogs and 1 whitetail spike with it. I kind of feel bad for my other rifles, they are all sitting in the safe collecting dust. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I run the hunting program on a ranch in South Texas. I spend all hunting season in the blind (taking cull bucks and does), scouting, or guiding hunters. We shoot lots of hogs to try and keep them under control. It is a tough job, but somebody has to do it.:) I also do "real" work on the ranch. We are working cattle tomorrow, so no hunting for one day:(
Yes, I love the .308 it has done a fantastic job so far. I really like the 20" barrel, it is easy to handle in the truck and blinds, and it is real handy still hunting and walking through the brush. I am using 165gr Sierra Gameking SBT and have been very pleased with the bullet also. The exits are usually a clean 2" hole.

·
Registered
526 Posts
RidgeRunner said:
Jerrschmitt, I like your deer stand. Would like to see more of it. How high up is it? I imagine you have some fine deer in Wisconsin. The cigars a nice touch, but what about a coffee pot.
I think it's about 12 feet off the ground on a little rise. Coffee is in the thermos
The deers view

from another angle

My view

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy Mackrel jerrschmitt......that baby is even more lovely than I imagined. I built one that I enjoy, but damit man, I feel extreeeemly humbled. What are the taxes on that condo? My compliments to you and your architect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jerrschmitt, here is the stand I built. The field is 425 yards to the far left and 225 to the right (not shown in the picture). Then to the far right is 200 yards over the pond. However, both deer taken this year have been out of two 22ft ladder stands on another field. My tower is not nearly as magnificent as yours, but comfortable.
The terrain and weather looks easier here than Wisconsin, and slipping through these woods is a real joy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have owned this land (118 rural acres surrounded by an entire rural county ) for twenty years. Some nights we seemed covered up with coyotes, with "yip yaps" all around the house. Then we have gone two years without hearing any. The initiation for newcomers is to sit around a fire at night and howl like a coyote.....and yes, beer is involved. I have always avoided calling them in for a close hunt because I have dogs, chickens, rabbits and a cat. I would hate to become a cafeteria for hungry coyotes. Should I change my attitude and try hunting them?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Here in Cali I heard of guys paying hunters for 25 bucks at least. But since you have farm animals I would watch out for coyotes around the house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts