Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Archery Talk Forum (same username as here) the other night and asked a ballistics question and one of the members suggested I ask it here, and maybe get better answers.

800 yard hold-over
I work with a guy who claims to shoot deer regularly at 800 yards with a 7mm Remington bolt gun.

I'm not saying it can't be done but his answers when I question him about it lead me to believe that he has 800 yards and 800 feet confused. I asked him how much he holds over the deer in feet and he said about 2.5 feet over the back. All of the info I've found leads me to believe that the correct hold-over would be somewhere around 140 to 160 inches (depending on the round). His answer to that is that he's using a boat tail round and it flies flatter. I agree with him on that but it doesn't fly that much flatter.

From memory he's sighted in dead on at 100 yards with a Remington bolt gun, nothing special though.

I want to say he found a 139 grain Boat Tail bullet on the Bass Pro website because he asked me to pick it up on my way to work one day.

I've never tried to shoot a deer at 800 yards and don't ever want to nor am I here to debate that. I need some good info from someone that knows a little more about ballistics so I can shut him up about it.

I like the guy but this among many of his other lies are getting old.

Thanks for any help.
I can't believe I never found this site before, thanks Hollywood88.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Average drop would be between 70-75 inches at 800 with a 100 yard zero - for a 7mm mag. A lot of guys who use that round zero at 200 or 300 and then do holdover for other distances. If he's zeroed at 300, maybe he'd only have to hold over three feet - maybe four. But not 2.5 feet. Don't think so anyway.

·
Registered
526 Posts

I ran this on my ballistic program. Just picked a load out of Sierra's manual. For a 200 yard zero range he would have to hold almost 10 feet over his intended POI

·
Registered
409 Posts
Whoa, my guesstimate was way off. There you go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jerrschmitt that's what I was looking for. I just need about 500 people to tell him this and maybe then he'll admit defeat. He's very hard headed, but otherwise a pretty good guy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Everyone knows someone like that.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a buddy in Missouri that knows a dude that claims he pushes out 4-5000 FPS from his .308 hahahahahaha
We had a good talk about it and how you would need the barrel of a tank cambered for a .308 and even then the bullet will denigrate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
I have a buddy in Missouri that knows a dude that claims he pushes out 4-5000 FPS from his .308 hahahahahaha
We had a good talk about it and how you would need the barrel of a tank cambered for a .308 and even then the bullet will denigrate.
Well since that's the show me state I think he would have to show me, from a safe distance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No joke... I knew a guy once (claimed former Marine) who said he could do head shots all day long with his M-16 with iron sights at 600 yards. No joke.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Why is it "I once knew a guy." hehehehe I guess it's that bad to hang out with these types of people. Hahahaha

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yeah, claims like that got real old. Hence the past tense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah i currently work with a guy(untrained in any type of shooting), who claims to have shot his first buck with a 30-30, open sights, at 350yards
i would have to say i called him out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts