Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after weeks of waiting I was finally able to take my SPS Tactical out to the range. Getting a good zero took about 15 rounds and then all the fun began. My average grouping at 100 yards was around 5/8 of an inch but at the end i was able to get a nice sub 0.5 (photos attached, looks right around the 3/8 in mark from center to center)
Range: Montgomery County Shooting Complex, TN
Temp: 22 Fahrenheit
Wind: according to the handy gadget this guy had next to me it was around 11mph avg from left shoulder generally
Rounds: Remington CoreLokt 150gr... Hornady 168gr BTHP Match will be used next time, just got too cold before I could shoot some of it
Currently working with:
Remington 700 Tactical .308 / Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50mm / EGW 20 MOA Base / EGW 30mm Tactical Aluminum Rings / Harris 6-9" Bipod

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just getting into handloading and had real good luck with the MBTHP 168 in my 30-06 I have 5 loads waiting for my SPS would like to try them out today but the weather is getting BRUTAL over here in arkansas strong north wind and 24 degrees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should be going back next weekend so I'll post pics let you know how they were. I keep hearing great things about them so I'm pretty excited to get back out there. Thats a bummer about the weather though, I hate that situation. It usually ends the same though for me, I just take the AK put a target at 50-75 and just waist a good 100 rounds or so :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
nice looking shots. glad to see the remington premier core lokt 150s are doing so good, just posted on another thread about possibly switching to them. Your pictures are pleasing enough to do just that. Kinda doing the opposite of your lol, going from 168 match ammo to 150 hunting rounds lol. The remington ammo is doing just great. Thats the match i was using too.

worth a little read...
http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2009/12/23/federal-v-remington-308-ammo-comparison-one-snipers-view/

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
^^^ might want to check out the 168 Berger VLD's. I ran numbers through a few ballistics charts and the VLD's seem really good and they are a good hunting bullet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was a nice article! I'll admit I did not expect that from those rounds.
I just wish the JBM ballistics calculator I downloaded for my iPod Touch had Remington rounds listed. (you would think for a cool $20 it would)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice shooting and good choice of rifle. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
80 Posts
TW3AK said:
I just wish the JBM ballistics calculator I downloaded for my iPod Touch had Remington rounds listed. (you would think for a cool $20 it would)
agreed, im running the jbm calculator through my ipod too, as well as isnipe($5.99) which has 9 variable remington loads for the .308. Has some express psp, sp, mr psp premier(core lokt) and accutip and well as scirocco bondeds.

worth the dload, and honestly find more user friendly and run it more that the jbm program

·
Registered
80 Posts
TW3AK said:
agreed, im running the jbm calculator through my ipod too, as well as isnipe($5.99) which has 9 variable remington loads for the .308. Has some express psp, sp, mr psp premier(core lokt) and accutip and well as scirocco bondeds.

worth the dload, and honestly find more user friendly and run it more that the jbm program

·
Registered
80 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
^^^ might want to check out the 168 Berger VLD's. I ran numbers through a few ballistics charts and the VLD's seem really good and they are a good hunting bullet.
thanks, been a tradtional shelf top bullet guy usually running winchester ammo, but have heard a lot of great things about the bergers since joining a few forums. Honestly never heard of them until these past few month when i started researching parts and accesories for my build. Thanks for the heads up. Will have to start looking out for this ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts