Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im new to this and I own a SPS tactical. The hogue overmolded stock touches the barrel slightly when the fore end is resting on the bipod. If I decide to pull the stock off and do a little bit of shaving will there be anything special I need to do to it after the adjustment?

·
Registered
403 Posts
legibson said:
Ok Im new to this and I own a SPS tactical. The hogue overmolded stock touches the barrel slightly when the fore end is resting on the bipod. If I decide to pull the stock off and do a little bit of shaving will there be anything special I need to do to it after the adjustment?
Unfortunatly there is little you can do to this stock to help it other then investing in a better after market stock like HS Precision, Bell & Carlson or Mcmillin. You can try and shave the forearm, but you may only make matters worse. I have heard others talk about metal rods and epoxy to try to stiffen the forearm and again its how far do you want to invest your time, effort and resources to try and fix a problem from the start. Best thing you can do is like I and many other have done and sell the Hogue stock to someone who will buy it and invest that money into another stock. Personally I have an HS Precision and it serves me well and one of the best investments I made, but again it's all a matter of preference. Check this boards classifieds because some come on form time to time for sale. Be prepaired to spend at least $200 for a good stock. Here is a good place to get an idea of the stocks available and the prices. heres the link to Stocky's stocks.....

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Good luck in your stock and I hope this helps better inform you on the questions you have posed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well dammit. i was hopin i could just trim some out without spendin all that cash right now. i'm in college so things are tight as it is haha. oh well i guess i'll just settle for that mcmillan i was lookin at

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
well shoot the rifle as is and see what it does. I can see you shooting sub MOA with the right ammo and also you doing your part.

Oh and post pics :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you shave off material, it's likely the stock will just flex more. Like 308isgreat suggests, you 'could' trim it and make a bed for some sort of metal insert but that would take a lot of time. You could do this if you 'really' liked the stock..

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I believe it was on snipershide forum that had a guy post a way to bed the stock with the fore grip completely, but the time and money you end up putting in the stock to do that its not worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first post here. I've had my SPS Tactical for a bit over a month. That thing with the stock touching bugged me too, but didn't seem to hurt things too much. My standard 100 yard goto load is a slow moving 168gr SMK and I was able to get .5 to .8" groups with mine. Still, I didn't like the stock and as it turned out, there are MANY LTR and 700P pull off stocks circulating on the net. I got a 700P pull off, which I believe was a HS Precision PSS or PST (not sure about the model) for right at $200 plus shipping.

This is what it looks like now....

And this is how it shoots....

As well as it was shooting before, it got better after adding the stock. I've actually shot five shot groups that were tighter, one was .2" but it was with a different load.

Doctoring up the Hogue isn't worth it. I looked at it and it seems that if you remove material, it's just going to flex more. I was going to epoxy an aluminum rod in the fore section, but then couldn't tell how far back I should go and then I didn't know if it would affect the pillar bedded section. I just blew it off and got the pull off stock.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Nice REALLY NICE :D and welcome to the 700 forum !

Post if you ever try some 175 SMK's in it. Not a lot of people shoot them but for me I really like them. And from the looks you got the PST stock on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the Welcome. I haven't tried any 175s yet. I've been messing with the 168s and still have around 600 bullets left. I have, however, been giving the 175s some thought though. I know that in handguns, I tend to try to use the heaviest bullets that I can, with shorter barrels, so that I can rely less on velocity. It would seem that the 175s would be perfect for the short tube on the SPS, but mine has a 1:12 twist.

A friend of mine recently talked me into participation in my first long range competitive shoot (600 yards). The shoot is on Dec. 4, so I don't want to start monkeying around with my load now. I know where the sweet spots are with my chosen components, so I'm just going to shoot what I have for now. I am going to order some 175s, just to see how they do after the shoot.

I will post my results with the 175s when I try them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts