Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have noticed that free bore on the sps Tac. is almost just way to excessive....I posted a ???in the reloading section of this forum titled .308 bullet jump, I would appreciate the sps Tac owners commenting on this subject...basically what bullet jump are you using?...thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SemperFi....thats exactly what I am talkin about. 2.939" thats crazy. I use Lapua brass, 168gr. A-Max, varget and BR2s. Now there is more than one way to skin a cat....1) you can seat the bullet close to the lands .100" or closer and deal with runout issues, or 2) you can seat to mag lenght (2.813" to 2.815") and deal with possible jump issues, especially when you get throat erosion problems. I have found through the years the cartridge's max consistancy is when the bullet is seated to where the bearing surface and boat-tail meet is exactly the point where the case neck meets the shoulder. So with what I use (168gr. A-Max) that would be 2.850". The most important thing I think any of us can do as reloaders is finding the optimum charge weight with whatever powder we decide to use. To really ring out the accuracy neck size only and only bump shoulder when the bolt gets a little "stiff". Of course all of what I have mentioned is SPS Tac. .308 specific, and I am sure there are a few others this holds true with also. If you use A-Maxs or similiar bullets, try 2.850" OAL and see what happens. That would put you @approx. .099" jump, which seems crazy far, and I'll bet you shoot tighter groups.....;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
gunrunner said:
SemperFi....thats exactly what I am talkin about. 2.939" thats crazy. I use Lapua brass, 168gr. A-Max, varget and BR2s. Now there is more than one way to skin a cat....1) you can seat the bullet close to the lands .100" or closer and deal with runout issues, or 2) you can seat to mag lenght (2.813" to 2.815") and deal with possible jump issues, especially when you get throat erosion problems. I have found through the years the cartridge's max consistancy is when the bullet is seated to where the bearing surface and boat-tail meet is exactly the point where the case neck meets the shoulder. So with what I use (168gr. A-Max) that would be 2.850". The most important thing I think any of us can do as reloaders is finding the optimum charge weight with whatever powder we decide to use. To really ring out the accuracy neck size only and only bump shoulder when the bolt gets a little "stiff". Of course all of what I have mentioned is SPS Tac. .308 specific, and I am sure there are a few others this holds true with also. If you use A-Maxs or similiar bullets, try 2.850" OAL and see what happens. That would put you @approx. .099" jump, which seems crazy far, and I'll bet you shoot tighter groups.....;)
Thanks for the detailed info and on my next loads I will try the 2.850" coal on what I have been loading and report back on accuracy.

I

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
308isgreat....you will probably need to work up a new charge weight for that seating depth and dont forget every bullet style is different so there could be slight variations. GOOD LUCK!!! cant waite to hear the report....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Remington's are nortorius for extra long throats,but shoot great at 2.800. I have tried different
lengths in my 700's, but have yet to improve any of my groups in some cases they degraded
but I still try anyway,keep hoping I find that sweet spot:lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dratt1957.....I hear ya....however I find it interesting that a rem700 is still very accurate with there built in "lawyer".....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts