Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to order a pillar bedding kit and a glass bedding kit for my 260 in a vls stock. I've never done a full bedding job. I will also be bedding the bottom metal. I'm planning on going with the score high from midway. Is their 4 oz kit enough to do the action, bottom metal, and the barrel channel?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Full length bedding? No, I stop about 1-1/2 inches ahead of the recoil lug. Bedding the barrel channel usually does more harm than good. As for bottom metal, I only use a small amount of bedding compound between Bottom metal and pillars to make sure they have 100% contact. Rest of the bottom metal doesn't matter.

A 4-ounce kit should be more than enough unless you have excessive inletting around the action. Most people will use 5-minute epoxy to secure the pillars first and this fills around the pillar. Then use the bedding compound to finish the job where the action itself sits in the stock.

Check out the YouTube videos on Bedding a rifle stock. There are dozens and dozens, one of which should fit your specific needs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on bedding like Larry potterfield did on his nearly perfect safari rifle. He bedded the full length of the barrel channel but had tape on the barrel to keep it floated. I'm assuming to help rigidity and for aesthetics. I to remove a bunch of material to free float the barrel and it should also help seal it up.

·
Registered
M700 30.06 Carbon Fiber barrel Vortex 4.5.14.50
1 Posts
I plan on bedding like Larry potterfield did on his nearly perfect safari rifle. He bedded the full length of the barrel channel but had tape on the barrel to keep it floated. I'm assuming to help rigidity and for aesthetics. I to remove a bunch of material to free float the barrel and it should also help seal it up.
I have done exactly that with my M700 30.06 and my carbon fiber barrel in the original wood stock. It works like a dream and helps keep moisture from underneath the barrel.Take you time with the barrel channel rasp and make slow even cuts.

·
Super Moderator
1,379 Posts
Welcome to the Forum JP. Maybe if some of these 4 or more year posts are called back up, we will get more activity started.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts