Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that the full length AL bedding in the 700P and 5R and other higher end stocks sold by B&C, McMillan and HS Precision helps to stabilize the shot when it is discharged.

Question: since the barrel is free-floating and does not touch anything except at the receiver side, how can the bedding stabilize anything? If barrel touches the bedding during the discharge, wouldn't it cause a disruption to the harmonics of the barrel, which is bad?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Although some bedding materials could be used to "fill in the gaps" around the barrel (or at least make them very tight tolerance/clearance), I don't think it could be considered a common practice (I have seen some stock repairs, gouges and such, made with it though). The purpose of bedding the action (or receiver) is to essentially cement it into the stock so it cannot shift around, even the smallest bit. This can improve accuracy simply by providing a consistant platform to start from.

The bedding systems used in the stocks you mentioned are bedding "blocks", usually aluminum inserts molded into the stock during manufacture. The block is "stuck" in the stock, the receiver/action is "stuck" (mounted) to the block, and the barrel doesn't touch anything. In other words, you "bed" the action, you "float" the barrel.

Hope this helps.... :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts