Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i am new to this site and this is my first post
i am strongly considering getting a new hunting rifle this year so i can finally give my dads rifle back to him, it is a semi-auto winchester .308, so that is what i am used to shooting. i have wanted a remington 700 for quite a while now, and have decided on .300 win mag. Now my question is...with a caliber like that is the SPS a good buy, or is it worth going up to a model like the CDL or the XCR , because i found a nice SPS with the drop out magazine for under $600 and it looks like a really nice rifle. I have no idea if there is a difference in barrel life in these guns or not
also i am planning on topping the gun with a leopold VXII, when it is all said and done i think that would give me a really nice setup for under $1000, but i am considering the other models, i just really don't know if it is worth the extra money or not

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh i also for got to mention that almost all of my shooting will be done at less that 200 yds, unless i finally get a chance to go out west

·
Registered
143 Posts
The SPS is just not as pretty as some of their other models. If it's a hunting
rifle looks never really mattered to me. Barrel life should be the same as the other models given
you are shooting the same loads. 300 win mag is generally considered to be harder on barrels being a magnum caliber. If it lives the life of the typical big game rifle you won't be around long enough to burn it out, your great grand children will have to finish it off for you.
It is a very effective and versatile long range round and should kill anything from a coyote to a bull Elk.
I thing you would have a pretty good set up without spending a lot of money with the SPS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that you for the info, i plan i doing mostly whitetail hunting with a 180gr. bullet, but i would still like to get out west hunting elk sometime in the next few years

1 - 4 of 4 Posts