Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just back from deer hunting and need to know what to do with my 300win mag serial #s6204701. fliped the safety off to unload and kaboom gun went off, is there a permanent fix for this ? please help its been my #1 choice rifle for about 5 years...

·
Registered
89 Posts
No personal experience with Jewell but from what I have been reading they have issues of their own.
Some have had problems with them being sensitive to dirt and do not recommend them for use out side of target guns.
Still other swear by them. Ether way they are around $100. more than the others so for me personaly they are out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a Timney......No problems at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your gun is discharging when you flip the safety off you need to take your gun to a smith and have it looked at! Something may have come loose, fouled or broke while you were out in the field. Good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Usually that is caused by the Over travel screw being out of adjustment. This can happen when you adjust the weight of pull without adjusting the over travel. I have Jewell triggers on two rifles and a Shilen trigger on another. Both are great triggers. The rest of my rifles have stock pre X Mark triggers and they have never given me a problem.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
one thing that I learned from a gun smith is that if you put some nail polish on the screws your good to go.

·
Registered
526 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
Usually that is caused by the Over travel screw being out of adjustment. This can happen when you adjust the weight of pull without adjusting the over travel. I have Jewell triggers on two rifles and a Shilen trigger on another. Both are great triggers. The rest of my rifles have stock pre X Mark triggers and they have never given me a problem.

I must have been tired when I wrote that....... Change over travel screw to sear engagement screw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a heads up It was posted on the web today I checked, because I just happened to catch a report on CNBC ( Not my first choice for news but seeing the guns being fired caught my eye while fliping channels) It was reported that the 700 from it's begining had a history of discharging when manipulating the safety, And or squeezing the trigger and the rifle would not fire but when you went to engage the safety or open the bolt the weapon would fire ( I have had this happen to me once at the range I thought it strange and attributied it to oil gumming up due to cold weather had that causing a hang fire now I'm not so sure.) So just be safe out there. I'm thinking about a Timmey Trigger just to be on the safe side.

Gag's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts