Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

In the space of a month I managed to buy two (2) Remington 700s, both of recent manufacture. I've owned a Winchester Model 12 12 ga. for a very long time, but haven't had a rifle since I was a kid. That was a Remington, as well, actually; a Nylon 66 in .22 short.

As a kid I always meant to learn to shoot longer and longer distances, but decades of living in cities left not much room for riflery and I never got the bug for pistols. Also, there were so many motorcycles! Now I'm older and am looking to move up country where guns are normal, so I'm getting back into bolt action rifles.

The first 700 I bought is a 2010 SPS Detachable Magazine in 7mm Rem Mag. I gather the detachable mag was not Remington's best effort? I bought it from a friend who really wanted a Henry instead. Alleged to have less than 100 rounds through it, and my pal is very honest so no reason to doubt. It came with a middling Bushnell Elite3200 3-9x50 scope.

The second is a 2016 model, not sure what the specific designation would be but it's a stainless steel model with the HS Precision stock. That one is a 300 Win Mag. The previous owner was a big game hunter and said it was a lovely gun but weighed way too much to be worth toting around (it sure is a lot heavier than the SPS steel barrel.) That one has a rather nice Vortex Crossfire2 6-24x50 on it. He seemed to put a bit more thought into his setup than the SPS guy.

So now I have two long pull magnums. I haven't fired either of them. I think the heaviest caliber I've shot recently was a Mosin Nagant. I plan to get the scopes dialed in at 100 yards, see what the trigger weight adjustment is all about and then just shoot them and fix them up to suit me.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, but for now the only mystery is: What is this odd stamping I found under the bolt of the SPS? The stainless gun didn't have it. Another weird thing Remington did in 2010? It seems to have the same digits as my serial number.

Light Trigger Bumper Shotgun Gun accessory

Here's the pair of 'em.

Wood Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
162 Posts
Zerobeat,

You wanted long range rifles and those are the pair, when you pull the trigger you'll feel it. A friend of mine always wanted me to sight in his 700 7 mag as he couldn't absorb the recoil. After 5 rounds neither could I, once it hit the bullseye in the case it went ..............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zerobeat,

You wanted long range rifles and those are the pair, when you pull the trigger you'll feel it. A friend of mine always wanted me to sight in his 700 7 mag as he couldn't absorb the recoil. After 5 rounds neither could I, once it hit the bullseye in the case it went ..............
Yeah, I've been told about the recoil. Both of the previous owners were over 6 feet tall and over 250 pounds and I'm 175 soaking wet. The one with the 7mm Rem Mag said he used to put his left hand behind the shoulder pad to help with the recoil (I'm not so sure that's a good idea but that was an indication of what a wallop it packed.) The 300 Win Mag guy took a look at me and said I'd probably find the 7mm more comfortable than his 300.

I've recently started looking at shooting vests and shoulder pads. Mosin Nagants and 12 gauge slugs are one thing, but maybe it's time take things seriously. Maybe getting the barrels crowned & threaded for a muzzle brake might be helpful? I'll ask around at the range to see if someone has one of those remote shooting stands with the gas shock absorber so I can get the scopes tuned up without too much damage to myself.

·
Administrator
690 Posts
A muzzle brake will help with recoil but it doesn’t make friends at most ranges. The blast and noise coming back at other shooters isn’t comfortable for those beside you. Those cartridges are great for hunting but for casual shooting or developing precision they are too much rifle for most shooting.

As a RSO I can tell you that seeing either of those cartridges at the range is usually accompanied by a lead sled and usually in the fall for sight-in. Most daily shooting is done with cartridges like the 30-06 and it’s children, the 308 Winchester and its siblings, 223 Remington, and the Creedmoors. The recoil on the 7mm is going to be about 50% greater than the Mosin. The 300. WM about double.

You may want to consider selling one of these and stepping down to a more manageable cartridge for normal range work.

As for the mark under the bolt, my 2009 vintage SA doesn’t have any, the 2011 does. Never noticed it before.

Reactions: zerobeat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A muzzle brake will help with recoil but it doesn’t make friends at most ranges. The blast and noise coming back at other shooters isn’t comfortable for those beside you. Those cartridges are great for hunting but for casual shooting or developing precision they are too much rifle for most shooting.

As a RSO I can tell you that seeing either of those cartridges at the range is usually accompanied by a lead sled and usually in the fall for sight-in. Most daily shooting is done with cartridges like the 30-06 and it’s children, the 308 Winchester and its siblings, 223 Remington, and the Creedmoors. The recoil on the 7mm is going to be about 50% greater than the Mosin. The 300. WM about double.

You may want to consider selling one of these and stepping down to a more manageable cartridge for normal range work.

As for the mark under the bolt, my 2009 vintage SA doesn’t have any, the 2011 does. Never noticed it before.
Good tip about he muzzle brake. I hadn't thought of it but it makes total sense, the hot gasses will just go sideways and back. I knew I'd learn something if I signed up on this forum.

Selling one of them is definitely in the cards, but I'll try them out and decide which one. The 300 Win Mag was the one I wanted. How I ended up with two magnums is a long story that has the word "California" in it a lot and I'm sure you've heard enough of those.

Maybe this is a good time to ask another question. Can't I hand load rounds that will be less powerful just for target shooting at a certain range? I'm a machinist and hand loading is just the type of work guys like me enjoy; use a contraption to make a hundred things exactly the same. The 300 Win Mag came with a hundred rounds of hand load and two recipes (50/50 split in the box). I'm one contraption away from being a hand loader!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 700 in 7 mm Rem Mag that has never "kicked" me hard enough to hurt. I do not feel that it is any worse than my 700 in 30-06. Can't comment on your 300 Mag since I have never even shot one of them. The absolute worst kicking rifle that I have ever owned was a 264 Win Mag in a pre-64 model 70, Why someone at Winchester thought it was a sound idea to build one of them in Featherweight, I will never be able to understand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just reading through the forums to satiate my need to go to the range today and noticed the comments regarding the OPs new guns. Welcome to “rifle madness!“ There’s nothing more fun than tinkering with rifles and making upgrades then going to the range to see what you can do for your accuracy. I have two 7 REM mags. One is an older Kleinguenther custom I had commissioned in Seguin, TX and the other is in a 700. I am a very large guy, 6’5” 325lbs and I gotta tell ya while I never feel much recoil pain, but what I do feel much later is a sore back and headache following say a sighting in session for hunting season. I had a 300 mag in a Weatherby as well and while it packed a wallop I don’t remember the soreness or headache being as bad. For distance and target competition I shoot 25-06 and 308. You might look at those. The 25-06 shoots fast and flat. I get 1.5 “ high at 100 yds and dead on at 300 using a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50. I bought the 308 on a whim when I ran across a good deal at a show and I fell in love with it. It’s a 700 SPS and I spent a lot of time and money working with it until I got it where I want it. Either way, you just have to find the gun that fits you. You’ll know when you’ve found it. Trust me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A 7mm isn't that bad, as @butchrx said, it's basically a 30-06. If you feel the need to down load bullets to make them tolerable to shoot, they're always going to be "too much gun".

A muzzle brake will take recoil out, but the expense of increased sound to the side and/or behind you. So if either are range queens, might as well save the muzzle brake $ and get a lead sled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A 7mm isn't that bad, as @butchrx said, it's basically a 30-06. If you feel the need to down load bullets to make them tolerable to shoot, they're alwa

I agree with the 30-06 comparison as far as recoil goes and I love the ballistics of 7mag. I don’t know why I got a headache so often after sighting in. Could be the range or echo or the number of repetitive rounds fired, but I’ve found many other calibers I prefer now. It’s a great round for just about anything deer, hog or elk sized even. It has good knock down power at extended range too. I still have both of mine but they have become safe queens in the wake of many other guns I’ve picked up along the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with the 30-06 comparison as far as recoil goes and I love the ballistics of 7mag. I don’t know why I got a headache so often after sighting in. Could be the range or echo or the number of repetitive rounds fired, but I’ve found many other calibers I prefer now. It’s a great round for just about anything deer, hog or elk sized even. It has good knock down power at extended range too. I still have both of mine but they have become safe queens in the wake of many other guns I’ve picked up along the way.
Thay 7mm will take anything down in North America. I was referring to OP post about the recoil. They aren't terrible I'm the way that your fillings are shocked loose, but not something you'd want to hand a kid. Do you get headaches if it's open air, not at a range or station? Wonder if it's the sound/smoke just hitting you in the face.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thay 7mm will take anything down in North America. I was referring to OP post about the recoil. They aren't terrible I'm the way that your fillings are shocked loose, but not something you'd want to hand a kid. Do you get headaches if it's open air, not at a range or station? Wonder if it's the sound/smoke just hitting you in the face.
I was thinking it might be the range. I don’t get them while hunting. Of course I rarely have to make more than one shot in a single day while hunting, especially with that old Kleinguenther. I use a Mini thirty or my 308 when doing things that require multiple shots like hog or coyote hunting. (I sometimes get asked to come out for control hunts.)

·
Administrator
690 Posts
What is this odd stamping I found under the bolt of the SPS? The stainless gun didn't have it. Another weird thing Remington did in 2010? It seems to have the same digits as my serial number.
I just figured it out! It's a QR code. Later models put it on the receiver on the left side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts