Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to this forum but not m700s. I am in the process of getting together a project gun of sorts. Mod 700. .308, I'm looking to build a "Pratical Tactical" long range target/hunting rig. My goal is to be sub 1 MOA, Hunting capable and Water filled milk jugs @500 yds. I'll do the basic tune up needed to achieve this such as bolt lapping, bedding, and or restocking.([email protected] Medalist type stock) as needed. 3x9 scope and decent mounting as needed. My question is , Would a standard SPS sporter barrel be adaqute or or should one opt for the SPS varmint. Either way I am leaning towards cutting the tube to 22" Sorry for the long post and thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I take my SPS Tactical in .308 out hunting all the time and I don't just walk half a mile but several mile hikes. My rifle fully loaded weights in about 10 1/2 pounds. There is nothin wrong with a sporter barrel but don't be surprised by the accuracy it can be good or maybe not that great. With a thin barrel you have more vibration than with a bull barrel. It's all up to you to decide now :)

Welcome to the forum by the way :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Go SPS Varmint, leave the barrel at 26" and go with a more powerful scope, 4.5x14 at a minimum. With the stock you plan to use and a Harris bipod, you will be good to go in any venue. For mounts and rings, as a minimum go with EGW 20 degree base and Burris XTR rings in appropriate height. Definitely go with the heavy barrel.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That best advantage is when you shoot at the range ou pop more rounds off with out worrying about heating up the barrel. Then when a cease fire is called it will give the barrel enough time to cool off .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far. As far as optics, I have 3x9 vx II on hand so that dictates my scope choice at this time. I want to keep this rifle some what "handy" so thats why I'm leaning towards a 22" tube. Also I want to use a 150 grain bullets for hunting deer size critters. What twist would be better for the higher perf 150 grain pills available? 1 in 10, or 1 in 12? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an SPS-V with a heavy barrel and a savage edge with a sporter barrel and I mostly ground hunt so I put down a lot of miles in a day hunting and I'm much more apt to grab the cheaper savage due to it's lighter weight largely because of it's light sporter barrel. if you huint from a tree stand then the weight of the rifle probably doesn't matter quite as much.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
With my 1-12 I shoot the 150gr SP federal rounds really good. But I reload the 175 and shoot those really well also. I have never shot my sps with 1-10 below 165 grain bullets so I don't know what the lighter bullets will do but I don't think thy will not work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
im getting ready to do some experimenting on a sporter barrel i got the other day for my .308 for free, it will be fully floated and cut down to 18" and recrowned. ill let you know how it goes when i get some range time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts