Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new user here looking for information and maybe to offer some in the near future.

I own quite a few rifles but very few Remington 700's, one to be exact non including my new purchase. Its one of the older kit guns my dad built up years ago and I never shoot it since its more of a talking piece since his passing. Others include Sakos, Savages, Winchesters, BSA's, Rugers, Brownings, and on.

This past season I picked up two Savage Model 10's, a Predator Hunter in .243 and a Precision Carbine in .308 fo deer hunting. While both calibers have been great, servicable and accounted for 5 deer to date, they aren't my deer hunting caliber of choice for the SC Lowcountry. The 7mm08 is, can't say exactly why, I just fell in love with the round in my Sako.

Recently though, I have embarked on a quest. A 7mm08 with the same characterristics and handling of the short barreled Precision Carbine in a synthetic stock and heavier profile barrel. I like to shoot and find the heavier barrel to be more forgiving, asthetically pleasing and it looks pretty cool too. Honestly the Sako is too fine a rifle to beat up pulling in and out of a tree stand and moving through the mud, muck and swamps I typically hunt. So after soul searching, pricing custom builds, inquiries to Savage and research, I found a 700 SPS Varmint chambered in 7mm08 at Buds. I snatched it up and am beginning the planning to build it up for next season.

My plans are to try and keep the rifle changes to $1000.00 or less including the initial cost of the platform. Right now, I want to get the barrel shortened to 20" and recrowned and replace the flimsy, unattractive stock with a B & C or HS Precsision and either adjust the factory X trigger or replace it.

Burris mounts and Weaver Tactical 6 Lug Rings will seat a new scope to be determined bu probably another Bushnell 4200 2.5X10X50 #4 Ill Reticle scope (I've had excellent results to date from two others in the same saddles).

Anyone else heard or seen a build similar to this? Know of the the results? Advice in knowing the majority of my shots will be 250 yards and under? Can the knob on the factory bolt be unscrewed and replaced with a larger knob or does it require complete replacement of the bolt handle? How about replacing the factory extractor with a Sako style?

Look forward to learning about my new platform.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Starting from the top (well technically the bottom) I do recall a few years ago hearing of a few people who built a 20" barreled (and a 18.5" barreled) 7mm-08, and I also happen to remember where it was...

Scroll down about 5 posts to one by "GooseGestapo." He's got a bunch of information about loads and powders, and it appears he didn't lose much velocity over a 24" barrel.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-121677.html

The factory bolt knob can not be screwed off, you'd have to cut it and thread it. There's a few topics here about people doing it. As for replacing with a Sako extractor, a good gunsmith should be able to do it for under $100. All it really entails is some basic machining. I've looked into it myself because I don't always pull the bolt back quickly and the case doesn't fly out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent info. Hopefully my pet Sako round will work well in this build as well but I won't know for a while. Its 45.5grns of H4831SC, Win LR primer, and a Nosler 150grn BT. an absolutely devastating round on the deer I have taken with it to date.

How hard is it for a mechanically inclined individual to replace the bolt handle? Doesn't look like it would be that hard, at least less time consuming than cutting, threading and fitting another knob. The SPS takes the same stock configuration as the ADL right? Can it be configured later down the road to take a detatchable mag set up like those offered by Badger and others?

Other than the chop job on the barrel and crown job, I want to do most of the work myself if I can. Sort of a project and learning experience. I'm pretty good with my hands and patient where doing things the right way are concerned.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The hardest part about taking the bolt handle off is making sure everything is square, so when you round it off and thread it you don't have a bolt handle that's in an awkward position.

As for the stocks, the ADL doesn't have a floorplate, it's a blind magazine. The BDL\SPS has a hinged floorplate. So you'll want to make sure you have the right style before you buy it. You can always add a DBM (detachable box magazine) kit later on, it's a easy addon. I did the inletting on mine myself with nothing more than a Dremel and some hand files.

http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1509

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I''m talkig about just replacing the factory handle with a larger aftermarket handle, call it the "Tacticool" style, but more for my big ole fingers. Just something easier to grab on a follow-up shot that I occassionally get on a bunch of pigs.

Any opinions on the Bell & Carlson stocks? The price is definitely better than the HS and McMillan and up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love my B&C stock. It definitely isn't a McMillan, but it's 1/3rd of the price. It's got an aluminum bedding block in it, and it's quite sturdy. It's definitely held up to everything I've put it through, and I am not easy on my equipment. Even the cheap Center Point that's on it now for some testing purposes has been through hell and held up. I don't and wouldn't own a safe queen.

On the link I posted above you can see the stock on page 4.

As for the handle, you want to replace the entire handle? With something like this?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6907/Product/REMINGTON-700-TACTICAL-BOLT-HANDLE

You can also grab a Bolt Lift.. Some on here have them and like them.
http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/boltlift.php

Or you can install a Badger Ordinance Bolt Knob..
http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=372

Or can you replace the entire bolt..
http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/5710796.htm

It all depends on what you're looking for and what you want to spend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the rifle arrived. I have to say when i opened the box, I was less than impressed with the factory stock. Disappointed would be a more appropriate term. However since dropping in the B & C Medalist, I've gotten happier. Now I'm waiting on the base and bolt knob which should be here any day.

I have a bunch of ammo loaded for my Sako that I'm hoping will shoot well in the SPS but there is a problem. My Sako magazine is longer than the one for the SPS and will accept the bullet seated out further. Both rifles will chamber the round with ease and in most instances I have found that the closer to the lands, the more accuracy I can squeeze out of the round. What options of bottom metal will allow for drop in and a hair longer overall length. I notice Wyatt offers a exteneded Mag Box that is .110" longer which would do it but do they require alterations to the rifle stock or action to do it?

It may all be a moot point because the gun may not like my pet load for the Sako. Its a 150grn Nosler BT over 45.5 grns of H4831SC and a Win LR primer. If it doesn't then I'm going to start experimenting with 120 and 14 grn bullets.

Still haven't settled on a scope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts