700Rifle.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I live in Thailand, a country in South East Asia.
I just bought a Remington700 5R, 20 inch barrel. It's my first rifle ever. Shooting is one of my hobbies but I had had only handguns and a shotgun (a Remington 870).
Just also bought a scope and had them installed by a gunsmith. Waiting to go to a range for my first zero-in session.
Nice to be here. I believe I will get lots of knowledge of the 700 from this community.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from New York. Is there a lot of active shooters in Thailand?

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Bob.
There are much less active shooters here compared to the US.
Thai authority control the yearly quota of gun sold. So the supply do not meet the demand.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Sounds like what the gang in India go through and they are only allowed 2 firearms period.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome aboard friend, enjoy that fine rifle you have. I unfortunately I sold my 700 5R 308 20" barrel a short while ago for another toy. I have reloaded some pretty accurate loads for that sweetie, ones that would put 6 rounds of 168 grain pill into a bottle cap at one hundred yards. I must admit I did some custom work on it, like a timney trigger along with some extras.
Kinda miss it but I certainly don't miss the weight. Best of luck .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you jimg11 and strom19 for your warm welcome.

To storm19...
I am glad to know that you did owned the same sub-model I just bought.
I am a 5 feet 7 inch and 150 pound man. So the weight of the gun is quite heavy for me too. But in Thailand hunting wildlife like deer or wild boar is not permitted. And we do not have much of varmints to hunt with a .308 caliber. So I will not have a chance to take it to roam jungle or mountain terrains. The weight will not cause much troubles.

Reloading ammo is beyond a dream here too. It's illegal. Buying ammo from a gun shop is the only option. With a small number of the centerfire rifle owners, the economics 101 well explains the price of the ammo. I just bought a green box of Remington. It costs 4.75 USD for a round, not a box... ha ha ha. Match grade ammo is even more scarce and much more expensive if I found one. This is not to complain but to share with you on how it is on this part of the world. I still feel good that Thai government allows its citizen to bear arm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts