Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just gave my Remington 700 Military & police rifle in .308 I bought 17 or 18 years ago to my foster son who has come home after serving in the Marines for 7 years in Iraq then Affganistan.The rifle is the least I could do for him and I must say I am proud of him and glad he has it....that being said my wonderful wife went to a local gun shop and bought me a 700 varmint with a green plastic stock and a 26inch bull barrel in .308to replace it.I hate the stock and want to replace it first as I think it will help tighten up the groups.The h-s stock model number pst012 Brownells stock number 393-100-705 on page 179 of their catalouge looks just like the stock on my old rifle,so my question is will it fit my new gun and will the barrel free-float?I feel sure that with the help of the fine fellows on this forum My new rifle will be shooting great groups before hunting season.thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response,I was aware of short vs. long action but what are the bolt face options? Is it the same old sand paper on a dowle rod trick with this kevlar stock if it needs opened up to float the barrel?

·
Registered
526 Posts
danceswithpellets said:
Thank you for the response,I was aware of short vs. long action but what are the bolt face options? Is it the same old sand paper on a dowle rod trick with this kevlar stock if it needs opened up to float the barrel?
Sandpaper on a dowel will work fine to open the barrel chanel. The bolt face options are for the .223 size, .308 size and magnum size brass. Those don't matter in selecting a stock.

Those stocks should be glass bedded to your action.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on the bolt faces,I learned something new today.The .223 guns must be the stoutest in the world with all that steel wrapped around those tiny cases.So are you saying that I should glass bed the H-S-P stock even thou it has the aluminum bedding block?..Or did you mean the green plastic stock should be bedded? The info is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
526 Posts
danceswithpellets said:
Thanks for the info on the bolt faces,I learned something new today.The .223 guns must be the stoutest in the world with all that steel wrapped around those tiny cases.So are you saying that I should glass bed the H-S-P stock even thou it has the aluminum bedding block?..Or did you mean the green plastic stock should be bedded? The info is truly appreciated.
There will be tolerances in the barreled action and in the aluminum bedding block. The only way to get a perfect mate between the two is to glass bed. Most call it a skim bedding in that you don't need to hog out a lot of material. Just degrease it well and go.

I'm sure someone will be along to say it isn't necessary and for a deer rifle it isn't. But if you want to squeeze the last .01 MOA of accuracy out of it you'll do it.

I think someone posted a video here on bedding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well sir,I am a tinker at heart and will go for the best accuracy obtainable so I have some things to learn about skim-bedding between now and next Thursday.I just pulled the trigger and ordered the stock from Brownells. :) This will be fun for me because it will be my first bolt gun build.I am very well known in airgun circles for pcp rifles and hope to match that with this project.thanks again for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts