Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New on the forum and have questions concerning a 40X project. I have a 40X that I no longer shoot in High Power matches and wanted to make it into a tactical type of rifle. I bought it used, put on a McMillan Competion Stock and a Kreiger 26 inch .308 barrel. Shoots sub moa but it has issues.

A Sako extractor was put in but the smith kind of messed up the job and it wouldnt extract (long story) but I got it fixed and it works.

Its sub MOA at 100 yards but the lugs show more contact on one lug than the other. Even though it shoots good at a hundred off the bench I'm wondering how down range performance will be with the bad lug contact.

I want to have it blueprinted and have a new bolt installed to start with a bolt thats not jacked up. New bolts have a notch on one lug, my 40X bolt doesnt have the notch, will they interchange?

Who can recommend a good smith for blueprinting?

Does anyone have a short action 700 bolt laying around that has not been worked on they want t part with? I'd rather use an original Remington part but they don't sell the bolt. So many questions not enough time. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ok what part of the country are you in ? just incase some one can recommend a gun smith near you.

As for the contact of the lugs if you get your action all blue printed and trued then I think you should be GTG even with your old bolt. So when the gun smith is done the bolt should be ok.

And Welcome to the forum ! :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Ok what part of the country are you in ? just incase some one can recommend a gun smith near you.

As for the contact of the lugs if you get your action all blue printed and trued then I think you should be GTG even with your old bolt. So when the gun smith is done the bolt should be ok.

And Welcome to the forum ! :D
Second what Winxp_Man said. If a good smith trues your action the bolt lugs will be spot on. That being said, Dave Kiff at PTG (http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#bolts) has new bolts and the reason for using his bolts is that they better fit the action than Remington.

there is a list of top gunsmiths here: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsmiths.html There are many more that aren't listed and if you're in the northern Wisconsin / Minnesota area I know a great one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts