Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently rocking a muller tactical scope on the rifle in my sig. i like it, it's held up great, holds the zero just fine, never had an issue with it. it was cheap though. the glass could be better and i'd like a 30mm tube. i bought it on a college mans budget and now that i have a job, i can afford some better glass. not nightforce or leupold mk4 better, but $300-$400 better.

i'm looking at 2 scopes:

1) Super Sniper 10x42 with 1/4" adjustments. heard great reviews about this scope, durable, holds zero, great glass. it's $350 shipped to my door with new rings.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

2)Millet TRS-1 4-16x50mm with .1 Mil adjustments. i'd love to have a mil-mil adjusting scope and this one is priced pretty fairly, imo. heard good things about this scope as well. i wouldnt terribly mind a 50mm as i do use the gun for deer hunting during the fall.

http://swfa.com/Millett-4-16x50-TRS-1-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P42548.aspx

i'll most likely run some burris extreme rings as those are what i have now and i love them, they just wont work on the 30mm tubes on these scopes.

give me some ideas and input, thanks!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just purchased the SWFA SS in 10x42 so I had to vote for this one. I can't vouch for durability as I've only had it for a week, but the glass is crystal clear and the adjustment knobs are everything that they were advertised as. I don't know much if anything about the Millet but I guess it will come down to personal preference (1/4 click MOA vs Mil, Control setup, etc).

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Millet TRS-1 is the scope I'm looking at purchasing next. I've read a ton of reviews on it, and so far haven't found a single negative one. On the other hand, I've never heard a bad thing about the SWFA SS scopes either.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.. Variable\fixed power, mil-mil\moa-mil.

What exactly do you want to do with it? I know you mentioned deer hunting, but without more information they both have their own niche.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
SWFA SS they are proven scopes and from everyone that I have talked or was able to get info out of said that the tracking is A+ rating in the SS scopes. I got the 1-4 and love it. Now I ordered the 5-20 SS

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Etkini said:
The Millet TRS-1 is the scope I'm looking at purchasing next. I've read a ton of reviews on it, and so far haven't found a single negative one. On the other hand, I've never heard a bad thing about the SWFA SS scopes either.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.. Variable\fixed power, mil-mil\moa-mil.

What exactly do you want to do with it? I know you mentioned deer hunting, but without more information they both have their own niche.
i havent seen any bad reviews for either scope. that's why this has been so hard i guess, lol.

i'm still studying up on the mil-mil adjustments. i need to do more research so i fully understand how they work. i def want a mil-dot scope though.

it's mainly going to be used as a target shooting rifle. i shoot up to about 500 yards depending on what cornfield i'm in, but i'd like to go further if i can ever find a good place to shoot.

i live 1.5 hours from the place i deer hunt, so i only go a couple times a year. (i'm not too hardcore about it, i just enjoy the cold weather and being outside.) so the variable scope may be a better fit. the mueller only goes down to 8.5x and it can make deer hunting in the woods tricky.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spent all day yesterday at work looking at the millet. found out it's an SFP scope which kinda sucks. i wanted an FFP so i could range at any magnification and use the mils for wind holds at any magnification. (my mueller is an SFP n it has to be at 10x to range and it's annoying. i usually just leave it on 10x b/c of that.)

an FFP is probably gonna be way above my price range. but i want the mil/mil adjustments.

millet has a fixed 10x-50mm that is mil/mil, i think i'm gonna start looking at it and the SS now. as little as i hunt, it shouldn't matter enough for me to have a variable power and if i'm just gonna leave it on the ranging power all the time, what's the point? i just wish the millet had a smaller objective, like a 44 or 42.

here's the millet 10x
http://swfa.com/Millett-10x50-TRS-2-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P42549.aspx

i'm thinking that's most likely what i'll end up going with

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you end up getting the Millet 10x 50?

Does its side focus interfere with the bolt when using low rings?

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the old school SuperSniper 20x42. I've had it since 1999 and never had a problem with it and the glass is as good as my leupold spotter. This is probably the best scope on the planet for the money!

This is 20 rounds at 200yds.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, didnt see your post fox.

scope got put on hold for a little while. i decided i'm gonna get into reloading first. the scope i have now isnt that bad. the glass is better than my bushnell spotting scope.

i'm just gonna save up and get the SS 10x42 with 1/10MIL adjustments. i want try out the MIL/MIL and i'd like to try out the super sniper.

thanks for the input bob. 12 years on scope and no problems? sounds like every other super sniper review i've read. that's why i'm pretty confident in my choice to go with a SS. but i really want the mil/mil as well. if money doesnt permit, i'll just get the millet 10x.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, I really can't find a bad thing to say about the SS. Other scopes have come and gone (more expensive too), but that SS is like an old Timex watch - keeps a licking and keeps on tickin. hahaha

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol, i wouldnt know, i've been rocking a luminox for the last 4 years myself. it's also taken a licking. i used to work construction in it and to this day there are still no scratches on the glass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a chance to look at the millet and compare the glass to similar and higher end scopes (mostly several Leupolds, Bushnells and one Trijicon ) and i dont know a lot about scopes but the glass on the millet didnt look that great when compared to others -in the same price range- scopes. I decided to go with a 3-9x SS for my SPS, its mil/mil.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Luminox, also good glass!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would vote for the SuperSniper out of the pair, but after you said you want FFP glass and the price range your looking in, I would opt for the Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP.. And I did.

I have had it for 3 years now, its been knocked around a bit, and it still holds zero just fine, and is in that price range. The glass is clear the adjustments are crisp and accurate. Its been some great glass on top of my SPS. Sees regular duty at the range from 100-600yards multiple times throughout the shooting session and always comes back to zero using my dope with no issues.

At the very least it might be something for you to look at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i bought the Millet TRS-1 .mil dot scope about six weeks ago and today i finally got to the range. i have this on my 700 SPS Tactical with Burris XTR rings. On my first shot, i thought it crack my lens i look thru the other end and didn't see a hole or crack. it looked like a flake from a kaleidoscope stuck to the inside of the lens, i fired a couple more shot and the flake disappeared must of fell off but where it was position now looks like a bubble in the glass. it not a bubble cause it wasn't there before i shot. i called the place i bought it from and told them my problem, they said i'm outside the warranty period and that i will have to talk to the manufacture, there goes my chance to get my money back and buy a better scope. looks like i'll send it back and hopefully get a better quality controlled one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
6camaro9 said:
i bought the Millet TRS-1 .mil dot scope about six weeks ago and today i finally got to the range. i have this on my 700 SPS Tactical with Burris XTR rings. On my first shot, i thought it crack my lens i look thru the other end and didn't see a hole or crack. it looked like a flake from a kaleidoscope stuck to the inside of the lens, i fired a couple more shot and the flake disappeared must of fell off but where it was position now looks like a bubble in the glass. it not a bubble cause it wasn't there before i shot. i called the place i bought it from and told them my problem, they said i'm outside the warranty period and that i will have to talk to the manufacture, there goes my chance to get my money back and buy a better scope. looks like i'll send it back and hopefully get a better quality controlled one.
received my replacement scope, looks like they gave me a new one cause the serial number is different than the one i sent in. this scope has left me with a bad taste and i don't know if i want to shoot with it or just sell it and get me a better scope.
any opinions?

thanks,
thomas

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
still doing my homework on these scopes. i'm not sure what i wanna go with.

i do have one important question, how can i take my scope data that i already have for my rifle (MOA adjustments) and convert it for a scope that dials in MILs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts