Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have started experiencing strange behavior with my 2 REM 700 rifles this weekend. I have .308 REM 700 PSS and .223 REM 700 VS. Just week before, I kept shots under a dime at 100 yards from rifles.

However, this weekend, .308 PSS started hitting about 7 inches higher and about 3 inches to the left. I had to sight it again and all become normal. Unfortunately, the second rifle, .223 also hit about 7 inches to the right, I had to re-sight it also and I was able to keep hits under a dime size. Suddenly after about 20-30 shots, it started consistently making the same small groups but 4 inches to the right.

Weather conditions, were about 90F both weekends. None to very mild wind (would not justify this drift for sure). Rifles are stored in the basement safe where temperature is about 60F.

Is it possible that temp difference would force scopes to shift as rifle is steel and scope tubes and rings are from aluminum? Rinds have 3 screws on each side.

May be bad scope but it has happened for the first time on both rifles at the same time. I am pretty sure no one “played” with rifles or scope settings.

Any suggestions? Help!

Thank you in advance,
RangeMaster

·
Registered
795 Posts
Is this the first time you've noticed this behavior with these rifles? How long have you had these two rifles?

The first thing I would suggest would be that your scope mounts are tight - not over-tight though but it looks like you've already checked that. Before you started getting the small groups again after some shooting what were the groups when you first started? I'm curious if it's copper fouling that might be giving you these troubles. It's hard to say for sure though.

Some of the more experienced member here will probably have some other suggestions!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Temp and Humidity will affect elevation but thats not an issue with both outings being the same
as far as weather conditions. Even with a wind at 100 yards you won't see much shift if any in point of impact, if
so one should probably seek some form of shelter. What ammo are you using, handloads or factory? Did you change bullet
weight? Was the bore clean when you started? I would think that it would have fouled and straightened up long before thirty rounds.
If the bore was dirty how many rounds have been fired since it was cleaned last.
It's odd that they would be that far off with two different rifles.
Are you using the same make and model of scope on both rifles?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SempefFi,

Thank you. It is a first time I have this behavior. I have .223 for many years and .308 is about 6 months old. I have tighten rings inside my basement where is cold so when it is hot on the range and metal extends, the scopes would not move. I have tried to move/shake scoops by hand the first thing when I noticed issue, but they were solid.

When I have started the groups were good just way off the point of aim. At any point before and after initial adjustment for both rifles, and after groups moved 4 inches to the right with .223 rifle, I did not have any hits which would be outside 1" may be if I would jerk 1.5' -2" at 100 years.

I have cleaned both rifles just day before and used copper remover. I am confused.

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BadKarma,

Thank you. I have cleaned both rifles just day before, so, they were clean when I have started. The wind was very weak and could not impact this much. Ammo is my reloads used all the same bullet weight for both weekends. The scopes are from different manufacturers, not expensive as I am shooting paper, but worked well before.

I am shooting for many years, but never seen anything like this before. The groups from both rifles are good just “migrating” from one place on the target to another ….

Thank you!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Could the stock be interfering with the barrel at all? This is strange, but I would next look to see if the stock touches the barrel at all. I'm not sure this would affect it that much though. :/

·
Registered
98 Posts
Make a note of both your scopes' adjustments. Draw diagrams.
Humidity/climate will not affect your scope zero. The ballistics (velocity) of the ammo may vary. Did you notice a change in recoil/muzzle blast?
Your rifles were fired cold and clean. Therfore barrel heat and expansion against the fore-ends is not a factor.
I am not familiar with the stock material of your rifles. If it is synthetic, then warping is not a factor, so moving from a cold to hot environment, is not a factor.
Internal scope adjustments can go haywire. When this happens the rifle can print diametrically opposed groups. i.e. such as 4 o'clock and 10 o'clock on the clockface. This did not happen, according to your report.

I am guessing that someone took the caps off your turrets and gave the thimbles a good screwing.
You must be wierded out by this mate. I am.
Well, try to put it behind you. Chin up, be careful and better luck next time. javascript:insert_text(':)',%20'');

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rangemaster you may have won the stumper of the year award.
I worked last night and while patroling started thinking about your
problem. I called another shooter buddy and he had no idea either.
My best guess is that both scopes have developed some type of
internal adjustment glich based on the rifles shooting a group just
all over the map. I would really like to hear what you find out. This sounds
like some crap that would happen to me LOL. Seriously let us know whats
up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rangemaster 01,

Check the screws that hold the barrelled action in the stock. Sometimes they can work themselves loose. Call Remington and get the torque figures for the screws and get an inch pounds screw driver and tighten each screw to spec from Remington.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very odd indeed, rangemaster. I think you probably would have a better chance of being struck by lightning as to having both rifles with the same symptoms. I have absolutely no idea what might have caused this if everything was tight. You mentioned pulling them from your safe - They didn't have anything leaning across or putting pressure on the barrels or stocks did they?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have found that when I give me 700 a good cleaning it shoot off as well. I usually have to fire 20 rounds through it to get it "refouled".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts