Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I encountered a 721 with heavy barrel ( remington factory barrel) marked 7.62 . Walnut benchrest style stock. Does it ring a bell? Did remington ever made anything like that?
Sky Automotive tire Asphalt Telescope Optical instrument
Wood Automotive exterior Shotgun Material property Varnish

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks. The stock looks refinished but I could be wrong. The buttpad doesn’t look to be of the right vintage but others may be able to tie that down better. The barrel is not a standard factory barrel. It could be a custom shop install but the real custom shop didn’t start until 1960. I think the proof mark on the right means it is factory install. I think about 118,000 were made. Is the serial number 39xxx?
Thank You. If You had to take a guess, what do You think it is? It is 39XXX range

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you have a very unique Rifle! Since the rifles were built from 1948 to 1961/1962 and somewhere between 100,000 and 175,000 total 721s were built I would say this one is a mid 50s vintage. 7.62 NATO wasn't adopted until 1954 so I think its in that range. Since the barrel is not stamped Remington I don't think its a production barrel but a custom barrel of some sort. Could be custom Remington or other supply/. Since the barrel is stamped with the REP proof I believe it to be a factory installed barrel. As for the stock I haven't seen a 721 in a long long time so I don't know if its original or not. It would be interesting to see the insetting on the stock to see if it shows and evidence of reworking. I would suggest you go to the Remington Society Site and see if you can find anything out on their forum. Some of those guys got into the factory records in the early 2000's so they may know a little more. If you do please let us know of anything new that shows up.
Thank You very much for the info. I did zero and tested the rifle at 100 yards. With inexpensive old Bushnell scope and factory 168 winchester match ammo , I was able to get 2 5 shot groups that measure a hair over 1/2 inch. ...... I will install a Nightforce with Mark 4 rings and see what happens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a 'testbed' rifle, possibly from the Remington Gallery test area. The 'tell' is the tiny pin that locates the recoil lug to the receiver. Mike Walker did that on guns that switched barrels often.
The stock is a 40X with the cut-out for a big receiver sight. It has been re-done with shiny gorilla snot of some kind.
Thank You. What is a TESTBED rifle? I shot it again today. Very accurate. The stock is interesting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Winchester announced the .308 in 1955; pic of the proof stamp REP not clear but if its there then produced after NATO adapted the 7.62 NATO round later than 1955. The barrel length is non standard so had to come out of the custom shop like a early M-40 sniper.
Yes. It is marked REP. And for caliber it's marked 7.62 NATO. The receiver is Remington 721. The stock is a competition style stock ( in my opinion). Gun shoots great. I am just intrigued to find out what I have. Or at least to narrow it down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remington used a local range to test new designs and this rifle was probably one of Remingtons first 308s. It could also been a test bed for a 308 rifle to replace the 30-06 Winchester Model 70 that the Army was using for snipers.,
Found someone's name on bottom of the stock. Really curious now. Lol .posting some detailed pics of the stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts