Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 700 .308 that I purchased second hand. It has a Leupold Mark4 6.5-20-56 Mil dot with 1/4 moa adj. The person that sold me the rifle used the standard Leupold rings and two piece base and I want to upgrade to the Mark4 rings and an EGW one piece base. My question is, I don't know if I need the 1" or the 30mm rings. I have the box that the scope came in but there is no indication as to what the tube size is. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a ton guys. Ordering now. Can't believe someone would put low end mounts like that on such a nice scope.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You'll be surprised. On a nice scope the lowest I will go are the TPS rings. They are fairly affordable and very good quality. The steel MK 4 rings are very good, I can't tell the difference between them and Badger Ordnance rings.

As far as bases go I like ones with a recoil lug machined into them. My next match rifle build will have the base intergral to the action like the M2008.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I know is I shot a deer with it at 214 yards on Dec 18 using a Federal 180gr soft point. Shot right in the neck right where I aimed. I go to shoot the rifle a few weeks ago, go out to the same spot I killed the deer and put some targets out (same distance right at 200 yards, same ammo) and I'm not even on paper!!?? The rifle has been stored properly has not been shot since or dropped/knocked around in any way. So I go and set up at 100 yards and dial the scope down appropriately. 3 shots and I am to the right almost 3.5 inches! I am just assuming that the standard two piece Leupold mount and standard rings are just not enough for the .308 Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
526 Posts
scoutsridge said:
All I know is I shot a deer with it at 214 yards on Dec 18 using a Federal 180gr soft point. Shot right in the neck right where I aimed. I go to shoot the rifle a few weeks ago, go out to the same spot I killed the deer and put some targets out (same distance right at 200 yards, same ammo) and I'm not even on paper!!?? The rifle has been stored properly has not been shot since or dropped/knocked around in any way. So I go and set up at 100 yards and dial the scope down appropriately. 3 shots and I am to the right almost 3.5 inches! I am just assuming that the standard two piece Leupold mount and standard rings are just not enough for the .308 Any other thoughts?

I doubt that it has anything to do with the rings or bases, My neighbor has those bases and rings on his 7 MM Rem Mag and it hasn't changed its point of impact in ten years of shooting. I'd look at beading or loose screws somewhere.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Also might want to lock tight the screws before you put base in. You want the blue lock tight stuff not the red. I was at the range one day, and a guy was there shooting his M-14 with his buddy. As i was watching him shoot he couldn't get it to shoot or stay zeroed at all almost. He though it might be his scope or scope mount. I looked over at him and handed him some lock tight. Next thing you know he is on paper and zeroed in all good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys I noticed that the Mark 4 rings come in either aluminum or steel. Is there any advantage or disadvantage other than the weight?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The reason I like the Warne rings is because they are steel.

+3 on the steel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts