Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. I just found this site. I am 57 years young, have been an avid hunter and shooter ever since I was old enough to do so, and have been an avid handloader since about 1978. I am a Police Officer in a small rural town. I also serve on the Board of Directors on a local Shooters Club that has an Indoor Shooting Range for .22 LR Rimfire Rifles & Handguns.

I have had a few Remington's over the years, some I wish I still had. Recently I picked up a Remington Model 700 SPS in .308 Winchester. The first thing I did was to have the 24" Barrel shortened and recrowned to 20". I then sanded out the forend free floating the the barrel from the end of the chamber forward. I'll more than likely have the bottom of the barrel channel filled in with Accuglass, as well as having the Action Bedded in the not to distant future.

So far I have 70 rounds through this new 700, shooting strictly 150gr. Winchester Super X Power Point Factory Ammo. So far I have not been impressed, but didn't expect much from this ammo. I am going to be starting to handload for this 700 .308 in the not to distant future, and will probably concentrate on 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I am thoroughly impressed with this X Mark Pro Trigger. The only adjusting I have done it to back out the external trigger pull weight adjustment screw. It is super crisp & smooth at 3 pounds. However after backing this screw out when I fire the gun the screw rubs on my trigger finger. It hasn't caused a problem, it is just that it is annoying.

Interesting site here.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Larry and Welcome all the way from Oz. Interesting, what you have done with your rifle. Everyone has different ideas. My LOP has been shortened to suit my reach. Won't hurt to bed your action. Will the barrel be in full contact after filling-in with Accuglass?
Happy trails.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome,from one young guy to another, I am 53, as far as the 150's go I have been unable
to get them to shoot as accurately as the 168 smk's,wish I could, have several boxs of them.
I will save them for hunting.

'

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

No after filling in the barrel channel the barrel will still be free floated.

I will mainly use this Rifle for Hunting Whitetail Deer. I keep hearing the 165 - 168's are the bullet weight of choice for the .308 so may have to change my thinking a bit.

As far as carrying it in the vehicle for work, I currently have a Bushmaster 16" M4 Optics Ready Carbine that fills that role (in addition to being used for calling Coyotes).

Larry

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Larry and welcome from a super young, 46 year old police officer. Lots of good folks and info in this group.
I have the same rifle at 24 inches. I've had real good luck with Nosler Ballistic Tips
in 165 and 168 grains. Mine is still factory stock but is pretty accurate with those
bullets and Varget powder.
Keep us up to date on your rifles progress. A 20 inch 308 hunting rifle would be pretty handy
in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I think I am going to order some 165gr. Nosler Balilstic Tips and a set of dies tomorrow. I have collected a good supply of Winchester Brass now so it is time to start pursuing a good handload.

Larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Welcome Larry, Hey some of you guys are old, just like me. I am 53 and have just purchased my first rifle, Remmington 700 LTR in 308, just waiting for my scope to arrive. I have been shooting clays for a few years but I want to try rifle shooting now.

cheers, Valencia..

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ohh well, whats wrong with age?? Im 20, means I can learn from you older blokes.

Welcome aboard mate. Good to have you with us. Post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey Larry welcome to the board! Are you looking to load hunting or target rounds or both? If you are looking for excellent target accuracy try the 168g SMK and for hunting accuracy 165g SMK SBT. Both have similar ballistics and should be what your looking for. Hell I like many others on this board cant say enough about the 168g SMK bullets and their amazing accuracy! If you are looking for a little higher velocity hunting round then Sierra 150g SBT would fill the bill as well. You pay a bit more for Sierra, but their bullets are very consistant in craftmanship bullet after bullet which translates to consistant results downrange. Hope you find the right round for your rifle. By the way what part of South Dakota do you reside? I am coming back to SD this November again with a buddy who has an uncle who lives in Faulkton and will be there for a few days hunting Pheasant. Last year I came home with about 10 birds! Here was the first!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again guys for the warm welcome. I am up in the extreme northeastern corner of South Dakota (5 miles from the North Dakota border and 7 miles from the Minnesota border).

I grew up hunting Pheasants around the farm I grew up on. My dad hunted Whitetail Deer every year but never owned a centerfire rifle. He mostly used Shotgun Slugs, but did use a friends .30-06 once to take a Whitetail Buck.

I on the other hand have always been fascinated with Rifles and Handguns, and have never killed a Whitetail with a Shotgun Slug.

My .308 will be used for Whitetail Deer Hunting for the most part. I just this morning ordered some 150gr. & 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips (we'll see how that goes).

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Larry

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quick said:
Ohh well, whats wrong with age?? Im 20, means I can learn from you older blokes.

Welcome aboard mate. Good to have you with us. Post some pics when you can.
Well,this old Bloke just woke up this side of the sod this morning,thinking of going to the range,if I can
catch up with the yard work,its been raining here forever and the yards a mess.I have 2 new rifles that haven't been shot yet,if not this weekend, maybe next thurs or friday when I am off next.You all have a good weekend!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts