Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from cold & wet UK.

I'm new to Remington rifles having recently bought a 700 VS in 22-250 and would be grateful for some advice please -

1. The rifle seems very long in the throat and using my normal Sierra 1360 55gr bullets the closest I can seat to the lands is 40 thou (allowing 75% bullet diameter in case). Is this normal please? I'm not over bothered by this as I recently sold a Ruger M77 MkII VT which was also long throated but shot superb at -135 thou. Only downsides (and reason for sale) is that it weighed far too much for a long carry and it threw fairly regular flyers that I could not get to the bottom of.

2. The VS barrel is not free floating - is this OK? I have run a few loads through it (90 thou off the lands shoots around 1/2" at 100 yards) so it seems to shoot fine but would a free floating barrel improve that. Not tried it beyond 100 yards yet nor yet fine tuned the load (38gr H380).

All advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Iain

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You might want to get a better stock if your wallet let's you :D
I don't know what the prices there are for upgrade stocks and thats why I said if your wallet lets you. After you get a better stock (off the top of my head HS precision and B&C is another) you might want to bed the action to the stock. This will prove your groups because of the limited movement for the action of the rifle, and the barrel is free floated. (you defiantly want a free floated barrel for better accuracy)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

A new stock (I would prefer laminated) is on the list as is new trigger (I had a "safety on" firing moment this weekend - but I can't be 100% sure my finger wasn't inside the trigger guard....) but I will wait until I am that side of the pond (or find a friend that is returning) before buying as here anything to do with shooting / hunting / rifles is stupid expensive.

In the meantime I reckon that the dremmel is due for an outing some time soon to free float the barrel in the (standard) tupperware stock.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
well did some reading and Remington states that the barrel should be free floated. Also it should be sitting in a HS precision stock that has full length aluminum bedding block. If this is the case then you might just have to skim bed the block if you want to do a bedding job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts