Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this forum. I own a camo 700 in a .243 caliber.

I put a Vortex Optics Viper HS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 44mm Side Focus V-Plex Reticle Matte on it.

I also put a moderate priced bi-pod on it. I have enjoyed shooting it from 50 yards out off a bench. My challenge is to get my scope adjusted to shoot decent groups fairly close to bullseye.. I have no plans to hunt with it. I could see it being a great hunting rifle! Very accurate!

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the Group from New York. Where in North Carolina are you? My daughter, grand daughter and son in law live in Chapel Hill, so I get there often.

If you want to really be able to ring out all the accuracy from your 700, you need to do a few things. At 50 yards you should do really well. How far to you want to be shooting at targets?

A 6mm (.243) is capable of decent groups at 1,000 yards if the rifle, shooter and weather are up to it. Then there is the bench itself. Many of the wooden benches are just not rigid enough for extreme accuracy at long yardage.

Most 700s are capable of under 1 MOA of accuracy. The list of things to consider are:
1. - Trigger change, at least to a Timney or Timney Calvin Elite, or even a Jewel or Bigs-N-Andy if you are not going to take it in the field and hunt with it.
2. - If you are not going to change the stock, then bedding the action and floating the barrel is the way to improve how your rifle shoots.
3. - A better rest will help over a tripod.
4. - And the king of improvement, start loading your own match rounds.

Good luck and post pictures of some targets.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Group from New York. Where in North Carolina are you? My daughter, grand daughter and son in law live in Chapel Hill, so I get there often.

If you want to really be able to ring out all the accuracy from your 700, you need to do a few things. At 50 yards you should do really well. How far to you want to be shooting at targets?

A 6mm (.243) is capable of decent groups at 1,000 yards if the rifle, shooter and weather are up to it. Then there is the bench itself. Many of the wooden benches are just not rigid enough for extreme accuracy at long yardage.

Most 700s are capable of under 1 MOA of accuracy. The list of things to consider are:
1. - Trigger change, at least to a Timney or Timney Calvin Elite, or even a Jewel or Bigs-N-Andy if you are not going to take it in the field and hunt with it.
2. - If you are not going to change the stock, then bedding the action and floating the barrel is the way to improve how your rifle shoots.
3. - A better rest will help over a tripod.
4. - And the king of improvement, start loading your own match rounds.

Good luck and post pictures of some targets.

Bob
I live in Cary which is in the SW portion of Wake County. A suburb of Raleigh!!
I really appreciate your suggestions! I actually have a rest, but it's full of sand and I need to remove some of it because it is extremely heavy and not practical to carry around.
I regret now covering my holes on targets! I may still be able to post the back side of the target. I'll check on that!
Thx again!
Ralph

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
Hi Ralph,

So are you originally a Yankee? I thought the Acronym for Cary had something to do with displaced Yankees? I will let you know when my next trip to Chapel Hill is and maybe we can meet. I for sure will be there for Thanksgiving.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ralph,

So are you originally a Yankee? I thought the Acronym for Cary had something to do with displaced Yankees? I will let you know when my next trip to Chapel Hill is and maybe we can meet. I for sure will be there for Thanksgiving.

Bob
No, a NC native. With the exception of 6 months, I've lived in NC all my life. I hunted a little in my teenage years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts