Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting a new/used rifle for target, deer, boar, varmint....I am looking at the 700 SPS Tactical with 20" barrel for $587.90 and 700 SPS Varmint with 26" barrel for $568.29..

Or if I could find a good used 700 action and heavy barrel and buy my own stock, that would actually be a better thing for me because if I buy the SPS Tactical or SPS Varmint I am just going to change out the stock anyways.....

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I would honestly like to go as cheap as I can....but if I have to piece a gun together the money wouldnt really be an issue.

Where can I go to look at buying a new/used action and barrel?

Thank you all in advance!

Also, the gun I am wanting will be in a .223 cal

·
Registered
62 Posts
for target and hunting i'd recommend a SPS-V unless its a truck gun where the shorter 20" barrel will come in handy. in your original post you offered up 3 options you were thinking of i believe; buying new, used or piecing one together. by piecing one together you can get a more precisely built rifle to exactly what you want. in doing this you will probably not being getting a rifle you can just take to the range and start shooting. unless you have a large sum of money all at once to buy all components you want and put together i'd say steer away from this. if you can locate a good used SPS Tactical or Varmint for a good deal go for it. you will still need glass and associated. i ordered my SPS-V in 308 from Jet Guns brand new and ordered a new stock the same day as i knew the factory one had to go. this was to be primarily a range gun and hunting deer if i ever get a tag. i do plan on maybe getting an SPS tactical in 223 as a truck gun for predator hunting as i do alt of spot lighting at nite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Around here hunting, the longest shot I have ever taken on a deer is about 75 yards. So I am not wanting to go to out to very long ranges with this gun. I am gonna be building me a .308 for the longer ranges...

As far as optics, I am gonna go with a Night Force on this gun.

And really, I think I have just made up my mind. I am not gonna buy a complete gun because just as soon as I get it the stock is coming off...

Where is a good place to get a good 700 action and also a barrel?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Like Banks said, you may be in it for more money if you try and piece everything together. Just find a good low price online for an SPS Tac (that's my vote) and sell the stock online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well, I ordered a .223 SPS Tactical yesterday from a local gun dealer......$563.00. Going to order stock, bipod and scope today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts