Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am being offered a sweet deal on an SPS Tactical with a 16.5 in barrel. It's in unfired condition and was bought by the original owner in 2018, so I am guessing it was probably made some time in 2017-2018. I have an H-S Precision stock left over from my 700P that I could move the SPS tactical into.

How was the quality of these rifles around 2017-2018? I have heard horror stories about later years for Remington prior to the bankruptcy. But then, I also heard horror stories about Remington back in 2011, when I bought my 700P. And that thing shot sub-MOA groups with FGMM from the day I bought it. Can't complain about a sub-MOA bone stock factory rifle that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I own a South Bend Heavy ten metal lathe and know how to use it. If the receiver is good, I could probably clean up the rest, but I am not looking at a gunsmithing project right now. I simply don't have time for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have your checked the serial number to see if it was covered by the Trigger Recall?
I didn't. I am not a fan of XMarkPro trigger anyway, so I would use an aftermarket two stage anyway, recall or no recall. I shot a lot of rifles with two stage trigger, so I have a strong preference for it. There is nothing wrong with single stage triggers, it's just a matter of personal choice for me.

I am mostly concerned about quality of barrel, receiver and bolt. I am not planning to use neither the stock, nor the trigger that SPS Tactical comes with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts