Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question... has anybody here tried deer hunting with match grade BTHP's? You wouldn't get the expansion of actual "hunting" rounds, but you'd still get the tumble and we all know how accurate they are. My rifle is zeroed with Federal Match Sierra BTHP's in 168 gr, and I have all my charts and stuff in case I come across deer at much longer ranges, and I don't really want to do all that stuff for a different round. I'll probably get 168 gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and just rezero with that, but I was just curious what people's thoughts were on using match grade BTHP's and if anyone had any experience hunting with them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well first off Sierra recommends that you NOT use the 168SMK or 175SMK bullets for purposes of hunting game. Even though I believe they could provide an adquite kill if the shot was placed properly I wouldn't use them because they wouldn't properly perform as a hunting bullet and could be considered inhumane if you caused suffering to the animal. I have loaded 25 rounds of 165SGK Spitzer point BT's for the purposes of hunting boar soon and I hear that they are very close in ballistic peformance and should provide excellent grouping similar to the 168SMK's. I will report back after next Sunday when I head to the range to test them out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great, thanks. I just want to use a round that if I see a good deer at a great distance, I know EXACTLY what my round will do and what my adjustments need to be for the kill shot. Let me know how those work out for you.

·
Registered
403 Posts
PALADIN said:
That would be great, thanks. I just want to use a round that if I see a good deer at a great distance, I know EXACTLY what my round will do and what my adjustments need to be for the kill shot. Let me know how those work out for you.
I agree with you and would like to use the match rounds I reload because of their pin point accuracy and predictable ballistics at different ranges. Now if I was out in the wilderness and..... had nothing but this ammo to shoot.....and I was needing food....yes sir I would use it! Winxp_Man and myself are headed to the range Sunday to try out some loads and we will get a full report after...stay tuned!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've been hunting with the Berger VLD's which is not a soft point bullet. In fact they say it's for target or hunting. Using that same logic, it would seem the HPBT's would be OK as well.

Maybe the Bergers are designed slightly different?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yes Berger bullets are good to go for huntin. They are designed to penetrate really good before they start to mushrum out. On the web site they explain the concept in a video. But to answer your question yes there are BTHP
that you can use for hunting. Oh and before I forget they are also considered match bullet. This is only in the Berger VLD bullets.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use the 165gr Sierra Gameking SBT in my .308 on top of 45.5gr of Varget. At the range they group .41" for 3 shots at 100yds. They probably can can do better than that, but it is about the best I can do. I have killed 13 wild hogs and one Whitetail "spike" this fall with this load. All have been one shot kills. Nothing has run more than 25 to 30 yards, but most have dropped on the spot. I shot a 160lb boar facing me last night at 75yds, and he was DRT. I love the bullet. It is affordable, accurate, and deadly. It also has been easy on the meat. I had heard some complaints about their "on game" performance, but it appears to be from people shooting them in magnums 3000fps and faster. I talked to one of Sierra's Techs. and they said that the bullet is very dependable at 2800fps and under. For the most dependable expansion, impact velocities should be no less than 1500fps. Good luck this season.

·
Registered
56 Posts
stex shooter said:
I use the 165gr Sierra Gameking SBT in my .308 on top of 45.5gr of Varget. At the range they group .41" for 3 shots at 100yds. They probably can can do better than that, but it is about the best I can do. I have killed 13 wild hogs and one Whitetail "spike" this fall with this load. All have been one shot kills. Nothing has run more than 25 to 30 yards, but most have dropped on the spot. I shot a 160lb boar facing me last night at 75yds, and he was DRT. I love the bullet. It is affordable, accurate, and deadly. It also has been easy on the meat. I had heard some complaints about their "on game" performance, but it appears to be from people shooting them in magnums 3000fps and faster. I talked to one of Sierra's Techs. and they said that the bullet is very dependable at 2800fps and under. For the most dependable expansion, impact velocities should be no less than 1500fps. Good luck this season.

I just decided to try this also. I only went with 43.5g varget and haven't made a range trip yet. May need to up my punch a little bit

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
stex shooter said:

So as long as you stay above 1500 your gtg ......... Well the .308 That travels at 2575 will keep 1500 fps out to 750 yards.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way... to bring up this old topic... for my 240 yard shot on the doe this year, I did use a Sierra Match King BTHP in 168. Dropped her like a sack of potatoes - dead perfect in the vitals. While it actually took a while to find the entry wound, the bullet did its nice little tumbling trick and the exit hole was a little bigger than a quarter - probably close to the size of a half dollar, but football shaped. I didn't have time to zero with a proper hunting round but this did the trick. I'll try and grab the picture from my phone and get it posted on here.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would have to lean more on the side that the most important thing in hunting is hitting the right spot. you can have a 50 Cal and hit it in a place less vital and not kill it right away and even can get away. Then you can have a .308 and hit it in the right spot and have a instant kill. I cant imagine an animal that is hit with a HPBT SMK in the vitals survive much.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My thoughts exactly. With some obvious exceptions, most hunting ammo is made for people who miss.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If I was hunting and all I had was my handload 168 SMK's I would be confident that I could flip the kill switch on any game 300 yards in. I have loaded 165 SGK's with good success and they are about as accurate as SMK's and are my go to rounds for hunting at the moment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
use the match kings, they seem to work good on humans so i would think a well placed shot on a deer or some other medium sized animal would be fine. most of what i have seen indicates that the matchking actually sheds its jacket and will travel as two projectiles once it hits the target and penitrates a few inches , one projectile being the peeled jacket and the other the lead core wich causes a huge wound and even ruptures nearby organs from the huge amount of cavitation created by the impact and the seperation. sp?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The BTHP .308's have a permanant wound channel that's about .7 inches in diameter, though it also has a temporary wound channel (shock injury) of about 6 inches in diameter. So you can imagine why they're used for instant incapacitation head shots for LEO operations. Translating to hunting... you're shooting at the vitals and not the head (usually) so that shock injury will stun even a large deer's central nervous system while still doing some nasty permanant damage. I'd say that if your're a seasoned hunter who knows how to put a good shot on a deer - ethically, and at distances that they have the system and experience with - a match grade BTHP will work just fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the name of the game as far as dmage done upon impact is cavatation. of course a .308 bullet piercing a few inches into your body doesnt do it any good its actually the cavatation of the impact and the distribution of the engergy that cuases internal organs and blood vesals and arteries in the general areas of the bulett impact to displace and rupture. i have seen wounds from lower chest shots rupture the liver and spleen and cuase what looks like motor oil to bleed out and these were never pierced by the actual projectile they just burst from the cavatation.

i would say a hpbt would be good to take most medium size game "IF" properly placed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's exactly the point... IF properly placed. I would say a negative to any running game. Negative to tons of wind or tons of distance when you think you might be "about" in the vitals. It boils down to hunting ethics and your personal skill.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was messing with the iSnipe Ballistic software and that dam program can even calculate wind leads and wind leads and if the animal is on the run. you just have to input the correct wind data and I guess learn how to read speed. (maybe get a friend to run a remote control car out in the field for you :D ) And PALADIN you said it spot on "It boils down to hunting ethics and your personal skill."

one other idea
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE !!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts