700Rifle.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on a 243 win for 600 to maybe 1000 yds? Not competition just fun with the guys. The rifle is a Mauser K98 action, A&B .830 dia. SS fluted bbl, 4-12x50 AO Nikon glass, Fajen Ace Varminter wood, and Timney trigger.
I can shoot 5 shot groups the size of a dime @100yds and bust 16 oz water bottles @ 300yds all day long. I built this pig when I was in college so its not got the best of components but it works to 300yds so far. It's a good little gun to have on the bean fields for whitetails, never let me down. I have shot factory loads so far and will start reloading for it, have all the stuff to reload with just haven't. What would be a good recipe to start with. Bbl is 1-10 twist and factory 80 & 100gr shoot really good. Hit me up with some suggestions or whatever. Thanks in advance.
Here is a pic minus the glass.

·
Registered
526 Posts
First off, that's a beautiful rifle. If it will stabilize 100 gr bullets you should have no problem shooting 1000 yards. Berger makes some excellent 90 - 100 grain bullets that will get the job done. When you're shooting long range, it's not about caliber, it's all about Ballistic coefficient.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/Target Bullets.html

While you're on their site, download their Ballistic program. It's great for checking your drop and windage data.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's a sweet looking custom you have there. I've owned several .243s and I think they are a fantastic long range round. I don't currently reload, but would definitely lean towards bullets in the 100 to 105 weights. Normally, the 100+ grain bullets favor a faster twist than 1 in 10" for extended ranges, but if your rifle likes them, don't mess with a good thing. If you are consistently exploding water bottles at 300 yards, a little fine-tuning and the proper optics ought to have you hitting a 1,000 yard gong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which powder would be better H4895, H414, or IMR4198? These are the ones that I use for 204 ruger and 223. Would another powder be better? I really need a do all powder for 204,223,22-250, and 243 if I can get lucky. Is the 10 twist more for the 55-75 varmint bullets? Sorry for all the questions, but how do you learn? Oh yeah thanks for the complements.

·
Registered
98 Posts
To achieve consistent elevation at 1000 yards you will have to chronograph your loads. Ultimately, you need ten shot strings with a velocity spread, from highest to lowest, of no more than 35 fps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ky Fur Buster said:
Which powder would be better H4895, H414, or IMR4198? These are the ones that I use for 204 ruger and 223. Would another powder be better? I really need a do all powder for 204,223,22-250, and 243 if I can get lucky. Is the 10 twist more for the 55-75 varmint bullets? Sorry for all the questions, but how do you learn? Oh yeah thanks for the complements.

None of your listed powders would be suitable for heavy bullets in the .243. I'd go with Reloader 19 or 4831 for the .243. The powders you listed are strictly for light bullet loads.

The 10 twist is more for the 85 - 100 grain bullets but lighter bullets work great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts