Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched alot on here and on other resources and using rl15 seems like a lot of
Rifles like between 43 and 44gr. I have only 4 - 175s to make and I'm hoping I nail it on the head. Without a ladder test, I don't want to run too hot for safety reasons. I'm thinking of loading them between 41 or 42gr.

If you guys had to commit to one charge with a 20" bbl 1:10 twist
And Winchester brass what would it be?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never used the RL-15. I found that using 42-grains of Win 748 works great in my rifle with the 175-grain Sierra Match King bullets. It's going just barely under 2500fps I believe, but it works great. I get awesome grouping out of it. I'm including a picture of one of my groups just the other day. I shoot quite often and love the way this rifle and load performs!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
308reloader, thanks for taking the time to post up your recipe. Since the time I posted I have been developing a load with the help of fasteach and his chrono.

43.1gr rl15
Win brass
Win lr primer
175gr smk
20" heavy bbl.

Avg: 2450fps

I'm working some loads to test on sat, I want to be in the 2600 - 2650 range
I'll let everyone know once I do

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Looking back at my loads 44.0gr of RL-15 will get you in the ball park of 2600's. You might want to try some XBR stuff its better at handling different temps. Most people say that RL-15 can be really picky with temps. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ya I have and I was able to get into the .5 MOA with 43.5gr of it. The most I was able to get into the case is 44.0 before pressure signs. I know if I play with it I should be able to get into really good accuracy with this powder just have to play with it a little.

I do have a post with XBR results here in the range report section I think.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have used the XBR too, not too bad, groups ok at 100m, I am working with different loads with the 168 SMK. I started at the 39.0g and went to 39.9g, not yet ranged/chrono'd the 39.9g. Ill post up when I do. I guess it is not too temp senstive, I got 2660fps with the 40.0g 168 SMK at 95* OAT, Ill try it some more this winter when it cools down a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fasteach, I appreciate it buddy! I'm still feeling like I got ran over by a freight train but I'm just glad it was not worse. I'm also soo disappointed I could not go back to malabar with you this weekend. I was soo looking forward to it! Hopefully my back and neck will get better so I can! Atleast in my down time I could work up some load ideas lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts